GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long it would take a garage to remove the R33 GTR engine to fit a set of turbo`s. I will be supplying all parts--just need fitting.

Trying to decide if its worth doing this way rather than fitting whilst the engine is still in the car.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fitted

I was under the impression that most tuners will insist on removing the engine to fit turbo`s to make sure everything is correct and tightened down properly or am i wrong with this...

So how much have you guys paid to have turbos fitted?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well RK (and abbey I`m sure) certainly do not remove the engine. RK quoted around the 450 - 500mark for fitting. Its doable with a half decent tool kit. You need wobble bars to get the manifold nuts and a cut-down S-spanner for the rear coolant-turbo feed. But other than that it really is quite straight forward. You can undo the two engine mount bolts and jack the engine until the bellhousing meets the bulkhead to get another 4 or 5 cm clearance to work with......

Removing engine to replace intake side hardware is more likely....

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I done my inlet plenum with the engine in-situ (like others), so does that mean the turbos are easier to change than the inlet gaskets for example?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Significantly easier. Having rebuilt my engine on a stand, I don`t think I would try the inlet side without at least partial removal.....I bet you had fun doing it?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
LOL.

Around a full days job!!! The bolts underneath, and pipework is the major nightmare. Apart from that it ain't too bad.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turbos

Yip, i agree. I took my inlet manifold off with the engine still in my car--one nightmare of a job.I dont feel i have the skills or patience to do the turbos.£450-£500 would be fine and im willing to pay that to have them done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts