GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

my car keeps on stalling when I rev it up to 3000 on first gear and let go of the accelerator... I have an RB20DET auto.

what I did before this happened was install a Trust TVC Boost controller (now boosting at a modest 0.9bar) and a GReddy Type-S blowoff.

After that this keeps on happening (on the road while I'm driving). Most of the job done was almost DIY, so I'm not sure what happened. everything seems to work fine.

A friend of mine suggested that maybe my blowoff was set to too hard (or was it too soft) so the air keeps on getting sucked back in. another has said maybe my plugs are bad.

anyway, anybody out there has experienced a similar condition?
any advice would be appreciated!

thank you! :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:(

me am not a happy camper!

played around with the blowoff yesterday, still same problem.. engine still stalls...
it will actually stall in 2nd gear at 3000 rpm and then I press the brakes to stop the car.

maybe my blowoff is damaged or something...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The problem almost certainly lies with your blow-off valve. You fitted a vent-to-atmosphere one, right?

The standard BOV is a recirculating type. The Ait that is "blown off" is already metered, and with the recirc type it's put back into the intake system. The ECU adds fuel for this air.

With a VTA type valve, the air escapes the system. The ECU still adds the fuel to match what it thinks is being inducted at that moment, but it's wrong. The result is brief moment of extreme richness. This is what gives flames on some cars.

Anyway, this bad mixture moment is causing your car to stall.

Perhaps unhelpfully, I'm not sure what you can do to sort it out. On a manual box you can adjust your driving style to stop it stalling but that isn't possible on an auto.

I would suggest you talk to Abbey or similar, see what they think.

Jon

·
Registered
720 Posts
Could be a dirty airflow meter causing the problem aswell. Whats it idle like?, bit lumpy maybe?.

Check the intake pipe for cracks / splits (the one that runs from the turbo to the Airflow meter.

Jason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
When you installed the boost controller, did you block of the two pipes from the original factory unit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts