GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a full cam belt change and new water pump. I have noticed a odd noise coming from the top area of the engine when I rev the engine. The noise is not there when the car is at idle only when I give the car some revs. It sounds kind of like a turbo swoosh noise or a supercharger noise.

Can anyone offer any help on what this could be? I'm thinking maybe an auxiliary belt or bearing or something like that?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the poor description.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts

Make sure your crank pulley is secure as this can whine if it has not been torqued up correctly & cause damage to the crank.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it will go back to the garage to have it adjusted where needed as something is not right, but glad its nothing major just a bit of adjustment needed on there part. Must have been from the recent cam belt/water pump change.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A quick u-tube search will give you the answer if your workshop can't.
Cambelt over-tensioned!
If your car drives into a workshop and it comes out making a new noise, why would anyone think it's acceptable?
Oh, it's just the new belt bedding in and it will eventually go away……(sarcasm)
RB25 Noisy Timing Belt - YouTube

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick u-tube search will give you the answer if your workshop can't.
Cambelt over-tensioned!
If your car drives into a workshop and it comes out making a new noise, why would anyone think it's acceptable?
Oh, it's just the new belt bedding in and it will eventually go away……(sarcasm)
RB25 Noisy Timing Belt - YouTube
My noise sounds a little different but sound like its coming from the upper area of the engine like in my video a few posts above.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks mate. Abbey done the belt and just said it's a noisy belt is all. They checked everything and nothing is wrong just the type of belt is all.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What type of belt is it?
Im not sure of the brand of the belt, is ADL a brand as they mentioned that? I had the work done at Abbey and they checked out the engine with a engine stethoscope after I told them about the noise and everything internally is fine. They told me its just a noisy belt and completely normal, they said that hopefully the sound should go away once the belt has worn in.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I would suggest something is wrong. Cam belts should not whine or 'run in'. It either fits or it doesn't.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check out my video I posted to get a better understanding of the noise. Only noticeable upto 2K and then goes. Is not there under normal driving conditions. Like I said taken to abbey they have heard it and tested it and they say nothing is up so im cool with that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts