GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet or discussed properly, been hearing a lot about engines blowing up... One went yesterday also.

Just curious as to wether it's modified engines or standard (upgraded turbos)

Anyone have any more info? Why's it happening?

·
Registered
111 Posts
A certain dealer told me they've had to sort out a good few engines that have blown up. All had been fettled with.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet or discussed properly, been hearing a lot about engines blowing up... One went yesterday also.

Just curious as to wether it's modified engines or standard (upgraded turbos)

Anyone have any more info? Why's it happening?
Only ever heard of One, but there may be others

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
A certain dealer told me they've had to sort out a good few engines that have blown up. All had been fettled with.
A dealer? Well, there's a surprise. My local dealer hates my local (and far superior) independent/tuner.

I would take anything a dealer tells me with a very large pinch of salt and a bucket load of BS.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When a dealer says fettled with, that usually could mean anything from changing the interior light bulbs to a turbo conversion lol

Maybe tuner/customers don't wait it being public knowledge I just genuinely want to know what happened and why it happened?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Matt, heard whispers myself whilst out on various meets but nothing confirmed. Would also be interested to hear people's experiences if they are on here?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
there was a post recently where someone lost a rod which went on to destroy most of the block, so you are right, there have been a few go pop
and I got a puncture !!!!

·
R35 Section manager
11,055 Posts
Never heard of that myself but any engine will go pop if its treated poorly

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
What ! That's it I'm buying a TT.

No you wouldn't as it's a VW Beetle !!! or if you do I will put a "i" in the middle of you TT

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
and I got a puncture !!!!
I thought the chap I was referring to was from abroad, not in the UK. There was a post recently where he had it up on his own car lift and had sent the engine to a UK tuner for rebuild.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i know there was a black one at AC the other week that had shot a rod.
possible lack of oil and really hard driving on this occasion

1 - 20 of 54 Posts