GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK been away for a while and now its stupid question time. A friend of mine has an MR2 or merde as they say en France. Anyway, it has just come back from having a new engine and having his turbos reconditioned as he blew it all up about a month ago - in his words it let go F1 style :(

Anyway, the turbos are now screeching, whistling and rattling when he accelerates, so there may already be a problem, he is going back to the guy who rebuilt the engine about this - but any ideas ?

Back to the real question at hand. When I had my R33 GTR, it was almost stock, no turbo timers, no valve controllers or anything like that. His car has an HKS Electronic Valve Controller fitted and it is constantly beeping, burping and farting at him and naturally, he is getting a little worried that someone has played with this in the past and set it to the "cook engine" setting :eek:

Can anyone tell me what this EVC does, what settings they should be at and how to change the setting for him - if anyone knows where I can get a manual that would be great ?

Feels weird coming on here and talking about a car problem that isn't mine - god I miss that car, KO_Driver you sure you still want to keep it ? :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
the EVC controls the wastegates opening at the set up boost level.
You can put an EVC IV up to 2.5 bar I think, that´s ca. 4 or 5 times than the MR2 stock boost, so you can easily blow up your engine with a false setting, trust me I´ve tried that already ;)

He should look at the standard boost and max the EVC to twice of that number. That should be safe. On my car the difference between good and bad was 0.95bar (good) and 1.05 bar (very bad). From a standard boost of 0.4 bar, so with 0.8 the tubbies should be working OK.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andreasgtr

Thanks for that I will see if I can work out what the buttons mean and how to limit to .8.

3,663 Posts
the MR2 and the GT4 toyota,s have twin wastegate holes in the exhaust housings, the wastegate "disc" isvery big and is held on with rivets these come loose and "rattle" , this is the noise your mate is hearing.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
if you need a manual go to the HKS homepage. You can find manuals for EVC´s as pdf´s , you´ll never find out how to change boost once the EVC is locked.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark is that you ?

If it is the disk rattling, is there a remedy, simple re-rivet or is it more complex than that ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andreasgtr - where is the hks homepage I have tried obvious searches and keep getting a training company called HKS ?

3,663 Posts
Mozzer, it is turbo off to be sorted. not a nice job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so back to the guy who has just fitted the turbo to fix it then - thanks for the help !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whistling

He has just told me that the turbos are whistling - whistle gets loader as the car accelerates - now what d'ya reckon ???

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
:D just type hks in google and the first page on top is the HKS-USA homepage :D
But I´ve done some searching for ya since the manuals are some kinda hard to find so here´s the link:

I don´t know what EVC your buddy has, so here´s the info page. simply select your EVC.

HKS Instruction Manuals online
direct link to the PDF file for the EVC IV:
PDF here
if he´s got the EVC III go here:
EVC III
cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are a star, thanks - don't know why I didnt find this on google myself though - doh !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts