GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any experience driving both the evo and skyline?

For argument sake lets say that the basic R33GTR and the basic Evo fq300.

Which one is more of a day to day car?
Which one is more fun to drive?
Which one is more customisable?
Reliability?
etc!!

I know this is a dedicated Skyline forum, but a open-view would be really helpful!!

Thanks for all the help!!

J

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I can only compare a R32 GTR and Evo 6 TME (neither are standard, R32 running T78 and ~650bhp and TME running 480bhp)

Which one is more of a day to day car? Evo
Which one is more fun to drive? Skyline but i would say that
Which one is more customisable? both
Reliability? Skyline only just

these are just my opinions from driving both. obviously standard cars and other models may differ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers

Thanks mate!!

I can only compare a R32 GTR and Evo 6 TME (neither are standard, R32 running T78 and ~650bhp and TME running 480bhp)

Which one is more of a day to day car? Evo
Which one is more fun to drive? Skyline but i would say that
Which one is more customisable? both
Reliability? Skyline only just

these are just my opinions from driving both. obviously standard cars and other models may differ.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My colleague has an evo 6 and im about to import an R33 for myself, so this is my opinion.

Evo wins.. both not going to win on economy but the evo has 4 doors.

Depends on what driving style you like. the evo is essentially a rally car so suted to twisty roads where you can get the back end out but the Skyline is a racing line track car.

Which one is more customizable?
Both have loads of parts but i think the Skyline wins because of the RB26 platform. Add an exhaust filter and a re-map and away you go.

Reliability?
Evo has a tendency to eat clutches and rear dif is very fragile.
Both cars require strict service. Evo feels a bit too fragile (for me)

Rob Williams

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Which one is more customizable?
Both have loads of parts but i think the Skyline wins because of the RB26 platform. Add an exhaust filter and a re-map and away you go.

Reliability?
Evo has a tendency to eat clutches and rear dif is very fragile.
Both cars require strict service. Evo feels a bit too fragile (for me)
Do a ecutek-remap and a nice filter/exhaust on the evo and it will catch up:chuckle:

Tbh,both cars are great to drive,big fun and very reliable,it all depends on how you use them,both cars have clutchproblems when you race them,the 4G63 is a very good engine,it can take a lot more in stock form then a standard RB26 engine with the oilpump/pressure problem.

You can tune the cars to huge power levels,spend the money on them that could buy a house(and i dont mean a house for your dog),so its up to you,buy what you like,the evo is much cheaper to repair when it is broken down:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had both an R33 GTR and and Evo 8 FQ300.

They really are very different cars, both very good in their own right. The GTR was a circuit car where the Evo was desgned as a rally car.

It all depends on what you want out of a car. Both can get 400bhp fairly easily. The difference is the evo is a fast point to point car and GTR is a better A road car. In standard form of course.

The evo has good low down power but lack a bit of the top end, where the GTR lacks the low end but makes up for it top end. The GTR feels more lardy when throwing it around as standard, but a good suspension setup cures that.

For the sort of driving I do I personally prefer the evo, but you really need to try both. Permananet 4wd vs semi 4wd feels very different.

The evo seems a little cheaper to run and live with, but then an evo 8 is 6ish years newer than most R33's so would probably be better comparing with an R34.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The two cars are like chalk and cheese other than the fact they are both turbo charged and come from Japan.

You need to drive both to get an idea IMO. (I've had a VI GSR and a R32 GTR)

·
Registered
26,782 Posts
ah something which is very very relvant to me at the moment.

i can comment i have both at the moment a Newera GT-R 32 (which is for sale ;) ) and an EVO 6 TME again from Newera.

which ones best for daily driving, EVO Without question and is the reason why i am selling the GT-R after owning her for 15/1monts

its better on fuel, its more comfy, and more of a "car", the 4 door thing doesnt bother me when driving the gtr

both fun to drive in their own right

feel the evo is very low powered compared to my GTR , standard turbos 0.9bar, esp shows on the motorways its "fruity" though.

GTR is alot mroe fun to drive, and miss that skyline smile,

EVO is very nice though, brakes are fantastic!

GT-R parts and keeping the thing going is very very costly, EVO im told is cheaper.

for around town driving, and daily commuter, the evo is without question alot better. i have been commuting in the gtr for 15months, the evo now just over a month.

for a weekend car ONLY, then the GTR.

·
Banned
319 Posts
evo skyline

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any experience driving both the evo and skyline?

For argument sake lets say that the basic R33GTR and the basic Evo fq300.

Which one is more customisable?
Reliability?
etc!!

I know this is a dedicated Skyline forum, but a open-view would be really helpful!!

Thanks for all the help!!

J
hi ive had an evo 4 ,5, 6, 6.5 tommy and evo7 . and 2 skylines.. out of them all the best day to day car was the evo 7.. 4 was best handing. but skylines r drivers cars. there the daddys..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got a question along the same lines as this thread. My mate has got Evo 6 which is running about 350bhp. My r33 gtr is stage 1 so 380-400 ish bhp. If say, we're both as good at driving as each other who do you think would win on a track day at oulton park? And what would the result be if he got his car upto 400bhp which he is planning on doing?
I know the best way to tell is to just go on a track day, but we're waiting till some nicer weather to do that :)

Cheers

Rob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all!!

Thanks you all for taking your time to explain the pros/cons !!

Much Appreciated

J

·
Registered
26,782 Posts
I think the GT-R is a great track car, (from what ive seen) never tracked mine.

decent coilovers, and an oilcooler etc, you should be ok. thing is with the evo its great on twisty roads, the GT-R was built for track not dirt tracks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will answer your questions cos i have owned an evo 6 standard, evo 8 fq300 standard and a skyline r33 gtr vspec.

Evo 6 fantastic car covered over 40,000 miles in it but anyone says its cheap to run is dreaming. Needed servicing every 4,500 miles to have the ayc oil changed. I went through 2 clutches and destroyed the rear diff at a cost of over 4 grand. all this said it was a mental handling car but let down by having to go into 5th gear at just over 100mph cos if a car can keep up with you to a 100 it will beat you above that speed.

evo 8 the problem is sorted with a 6 speed box so over 100mph is better. This is the best all round car quick great cornering and breaking suits the roads perfectly. Still expensive to run serviced every 4,500 miles but no major repair bills over the 17000 miles i covered in it.

The r33 gtr vspec feels quicker in a strait line but i cant throw it around like the evos. The skyline feels much heavier but this is a much better car to modify. Get more bang for your bucks.

Evos are more suited to the road but the gtr is a far better top end car but if i am truly honest the evos are more fun on the roads but saying that i own the gtr at the mo only had it 6 months but its my project cos its my choice to modify.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts