GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Bob I haven't, but I did drive the 458 Italia up Goodwood Hill last year.

Are you and young Bob joining us at Silverstone on the 25th September?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I went up against a Speciale at Silverstone in my M3 GTS. Speciale had a power and tyre advantage (M3 was on PZero Corsa which are not the best). Predictably after a couple of laps It had pulled many car lengths on me.

I then went up against the same car, same day in my GTR... Speciale didn't know which way I went.

Murdered it - but mine is hardly stock, but hardly mental either.

Alcon Carbon ceramics, litchfield suspension and arms, Akrapovic, Stage 4.25

Also compared my GTR to my M3 GTS - it pulled the Hanger Straight on it in one lap :eek:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I went up against a Speciale at Silverstone in my M3 GTS. Speciale had a power and tyre advantage (M3 was on PZero Corsa which are not the best). Predictably after a couple of laps It had pulled many car lengths on me.

I then went up against the same car, same day in my GTR... Speciale didn't know which way I went.

Also compared my GTR to my M3 GTS - it pulled the Hanger Straight on it in one lap :eek:
Takes a Stg 4 GTR to be quicker than a 458 Speciale

·
Registered
457 Posts

GTR is much easier to get 100% out of than a GTS.

2 very different driving styles to get best from them.

I'm not knocking your ability, as I don't know it, but just adding a valid point to your comparison.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You probably know of me Lawsy from BM3W/Cutters, and sure we've spoken in the past. I used to own and race an M3 GTR in Britcar with Simpson Motorsport (built from a CSL) and built and owned the black CSL GTR that Gorilla now owns.

To be fair, I would say it is easier in the M3 GTS as the speeds are lower. GTR was out dragging Porsche cup cars and with ceramics the braking was mental. The acceleration and speeds were so much higher than the GTS that any incident would have been a big one, and it wasn't balletic in the bends like the GTS.

GTS actually a very easy car to drive quickly and I'm much more comfortable in it than the GTR. I don't normally take the GTR on circuit as I don't have an oil cooler so 3 or 4 laps and its done. GTS is pure track use car for me.

To be fair I'm not as quick as I would have been a few years back thanks to some botched laser eye surgery! Really dented my confidence so I've had to adapt/adjust but pretty confident now again.

I've done the Silverstone 24hr twice and got a few Britcar trophies for various podiums too.

Also was able to keep in touch with a friend in similar spec GTR in my GTS recently (bloody hard work though!) The grunt difference is frankly astonishing as is the difference in when you can get on the power through a corner. GTS at its best around a mixed circuit like Donington, Brands GP. Too technical isn't ideal (Rockingham) and power circuit (Silverstone) and it struggles a bit. I'll see how it does at SPA :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
As I said bud I wasn't judging because I didn't know your ability.

The GTR is undoubtably a mega machine. I was driving like it had miss daisy in the back at donny and it was doing 1.18. Didn't even push as Barry P was coming to view it as it was up for sale at the time.

Honest answer, which gives you most feedback and fun?

You probably know of me Lawsy from BM3W/Cutters, and sure we've spoken in the past. I used to own and race an M3 GTR in Britcar with Simpson Motorsport (built from a CSL) and built and owned the black CSL GTR that Gorilla now owns.

To be fair, I would say it is easier in the M3 GTS as the speeds are lower. GTR was out dragging Porsche cup cars and with ceramics the braking was mental. The acceleration and speeds were so much higher than the GTS that any incident would have been a big one, and it wasn't balletic in the bends like the GTS.

GTS actually a very easy car to drive quickly and I'm much more comfortable in it than the GTR. I don't normally take the GTR on circuit as I don't have an oil cooler so 3 or 4 laps and its done. GTS is pure track use car for me.

To be fair I'm not as quick as I would have been a few years back thanks to some botched laser eye surgery! Really dented my confidence so I've had to adapt/adjust but pretty confident now again.

I've done the Silverstone 24hr twice and got a few Britcar trophies for various podiums too.

Also was able to keep in touch with a friend in similar spec GTR in my GTS recently (bloody hard work though!) The grunt difference is frankly astonishing as is the difference in when you can get on the power through a corner. GTS at its best around a mixed circuit like Donington, Brands GP. Too technical isn't ideal (Rockingham) and power circuit (Silverstone) and it struggles a bit. I'll see how it does at SPA :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Blade,

Have you decided against a speciale purely on its relatively poor track performance? Or were there other factors, as I've yet to hear any bad press against the car.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Another things about the 458 Speciale on track is, do you know the ability of that driver? It is very possible that he's not at your level so if he was able to pull that distance in that car then maybe it is great on track?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Blade,

Have you decided against a speciale purely on its relatively poor track performance? Or were there other factors, as I've yet to hear any bad press against the car.
Didn't consider it for track use. I wanted it for the tech, the reviews and because I have had a Stradale in the past and now a 16m and frankly it was disappointing for the money. It's a good car make no mistake but just not special enough. I drove the 650s around Brands GP and that was faster but just characterless.

If I didn't own what I own and maybe had the car for an extended drive I would feel differently but I doubt it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Another things about the 458 Speciale on track is, do you know the ability of that driver? It is very possible that he's not at your level so if he was able to pull that distance in that car then maybe it is great on track?
No I think it was peddled well as it was quicker compared to my GTS than a 430 scud peddled by someone I know who was very quick so probably a similar level and given it was silverstone there are enough straight bits that you can be fast in a good car even if you are average.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts