GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an Evo VI but am now again considering a Skyline(r33 gtr).Has anyone out there changed from evo to skyline as I need to be sure the skyline can be used as an everyday car and not let me down.
Is there anyone who wants to swop???

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Snap

Just did that myself. Well sort of, still have my EVO's up for sale.

I find the R34 eaiser to drive than my modded EVO and far more relaxing at speed. Once you've made the leap you'll never go back.

Got to go now, need a GT-R injection.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi

COLONEL,

I had a 380bhp Evo 6 and would say that the skyline is much easier to drive however it doesn't handle as well on B roads, but quicker on A and prob the track.

However you can drive the car far more aggressively and get away with it, This prob doesn't make much sence but you will understand if you get one.

The skyline is a lot dearer to run if your gunno mod (which you will!) I said nope want a standard one and £3k later still have a list.

I would go for a car that has had some upgrade's:

Chip
exhaust
downpipes
Induction

This will give a good 400ish and should leave most evo's (slowly but surely)

The problem is I know own bloody two!!

The bug will get you unlike most cars I can think of (you think people look at your car now!)

It's jap so will start every morning.

I went to able to have a look at thye different options and how much it would cost, I would recommend the same, Just don't go there when glen's motors there (it will cost u a fortune!!)

Cheers and good luck

D
666 SKY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well although we here in the US (and most other places) view the GTR as a performance car, over in NZ and AUS they consider it "the daily beater with some zip" well not really, but you get the idea:D I know tons of people there who drive their GTRs to and from work every day. There are a large number of people who drive 500+hp GTRs as their only car and have no problems besides their left leg being a bit stronger from pushin a double plate all day;)
Anyhow, RBs are very sturdy engines and can run decent mods as a daily driver, having ATTESSA helps HEAPS in the rain so I would say go ahead, buy the GTR you won't regret it :)

Cheers.

P.S
I know a lady who has told me that the guy with the fastest (9sec??) GTR in NZ drives it by her workplace almost every day.

·
Registered
961 Posts
cant go wrong!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
666 SKY basically said the most important thing so far, and that's the costs involved in the maintenance of the GTR. The recommended oil change period on a GTR is every 2000 miles and if you use reputable garages to do this, then it isn't cheap.

In terms of reliability, I am yet to hear of a common GTR reliability problem. If I'm totally frank, I'd say the Evo is more stretched than a GTR is, at least in it's standard form.

So to summarise, you shouldn't experience poor reliability if you adhere to the maintenance advice as offered by the reputable aftermarket service centres out there.

Cem

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies....
If I get one I would prefer it to already have nearly 400bhp so I don`t have the initial expense to shell out for.
I thought the Evos were bad for having fluids changed every 4500 miles but changing the oil every 2000 miles!!!How many of you do that????
I am pretty convinced from what I have read and heard about that the engine is very strong but my concern is the gearbox and the electronics that control the power from back to front wheels..How reliable are these???Do these tend to go wrong after a certain mileage???

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with everything Howsie and 666 SKY have said.

My comments apply to a lightly modded EVO VI (maybe 320 bhp, versus a circa 380bhp R33).

Generally the Skyline will be slower over tight B roads (especially wet ones), but generally quicker in most other circumstances. This is a function of its size and my driving abilities (ie not being good enough to "slide" around corners).

The skyline is easier to drive, both in traffic (because of the skyline's more progressive power delivery as opposed to the EVO's on/off type delivery) and on the motorway.

The evo feels frantic, particularly in 1st and 2nd gear and losses some urge in 3rd. The skyline revs higher and keeps going in every gear. I think this generally gives it a significantly better 0-100 time than the EVO, but a marginally better 0-60 time. The skyline's in-gear times feel significantly quicker.

I find the skyline much more rewarding to drive than an EVO VI, although I would prefer the VI for certain limited situations eg the wet b roads. I think both cars ride very hard, particularly when pottering around - in fact the evo possibly has the edge here.

I have had no reliability problems and follow the standard service schedules (6K miles or 6 months), and have found the costs of running the skyline to be similar to the EVO.

Hope this helps.

By the way what are the details of your EVO - I feel I have to buy a Tommi Mak version at some point in life.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred...
Unfortunatly it is not a Tommi Mak just the plain old GSR.
I am the 2nd owner from new and have done the majority of the 20000 miles on the clock.It was standard apart from Eilbach lowering springs but I have fitted a HKS exhaust and filter.All the servicing has been done by either Ralliart/co-ord sport or Steve Hill motorsport.
If you are interested let me know....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts