GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to video:

2014 GTROC Sprint Series Promo - YouTube

Hopefully the video will have given you an idea of an exciting new series for 2014.
I recently had a meeting with Darin Frow of the Mitsubishi Lancer Register, they have been running a very successful Sprint Series for the last seven years, during this time a few GTRs have entered in the Guest Class however both Darin and the GTROC would like to set up a proper series for the GTROC. The Evo series will continue but if we can get enough members interested Darin will run a second day at selected venues, you could also enter the previous day in the Guest Class if you wished. Hire of circuits is very expensive so it is likely the second day will also feature entries from a Porsche club, I am sure there will be some healthy competition and banter between the GTROC and Porsche owners!
Currently we are looking at the series running over three circuits, these will probably be Snetterton, Blyton and Castle Combe, the other circuits used for the Sprint series on a single day are likely to be Oulton, Kames, Hethel and Teeside. Entry fees are going to be around £130 per meeting and Iain Litchfield has kindly agreed to sponsor the series with some trophies and an end of season award. He will also have a Litchfield technical support team at each round.
I have discussed with both Iain and Roger Burgess a class structure, it was felt the R35s should be limited to Stage 4 plus downpipes and the Skylines to 600 flywheel BHP, only road tyres ,no super sticky slicks with soft sprint compounds.
If you would be interested in getting involved and competing in this next year please add your names to a list below, obviously this will only run if the club can get enough entries to cover the cost of hiring the circuit for a second day.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Nice idea!

Shame the vid only features R35's.....kind of sends the wrong message TBH. Unless i had REALLY read the text I would have thought it was GTROC R35 Sprint Series :chairshot

Something I'd be VERY interested in doing once the car is 'ready'.

Please though....sort out the vid!,

TT

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason it only shows R35s it is only R35s that entered previously so there is no film of earlier cars competing. This is actual footage of cars competing in the Guest Class of the MLR Sprint series this year.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Fair enough, although some generic footage of some R32/3/4's doing sprint-type stuff interspersed within may have gone some way to help it feel a bit more inclusive. Not here to have a go at what is a very good idea......just pointing out some ways to spread the message a bit more clearly!!

Just my 2p worth.

I'll probably be out for 14 but would more than likely be up for 15 should it run again!!!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Link to video:

2014 GTROC Sprint Series Promo - YouTube

Hopefully the video will have given you an idea of an exciting new series for 2014.
I recently had a meeting with Darin Frow of the Mitsubishi Lancer Register, they have been running a very successful Sprint Series for the last seven years, during this time a few GTRs have entered in the Guest Class however both Darin and the GTROC would like to set up a proper series for the GTROC. The Evo series will continue but if we can get enough members interested Darin will run a second day at selected venues, you could also enter the previous day in the Guest Class if you wished. Hire of circuits is very expensive so it is likely the second day will also feature entries from a Porsche club, I am sure there will be some healthy competition and banter between the GTROC and Porsche owners!
Currently we are looking at the series running over three circuits, these will probably be Snetterton, Blyton and Castle Combe, the other circuits used for the Sprint series on a single day are likely to be Oulton, Kames, Hethel and Teeside. Entry fees are going to be around £130 per meeting and Iain Litchfield has kindly agreed to sponsor the series with some trophies and an end of season award. He will also have a Litchfield technical support team at each round.
I have discussed with both Iain and Roger Burgess a class structure, it was felt the R35s should be limited to Stage 4 plus downpipes and the Skylines to 600 flywheel BHP, only road tyres ,no super sticky slicks with soft sprint compounds.
If you would be interested in getting involved and competing in this next year please add your names to a list below, obviously this will only run if the club can get enough entries to cover the cost of hiring the circuit for a second day.
only road tyres ??? Does that include R888's Barry ?

I know Darin well for over 10 years, I could be up for this

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
LOL and I thought the pit lane speed limit was 10mph !!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only road tyres ??? Does that include R888's Barry ?

I know Darin well for over 10 years, I could be up for this

Steve
R888 are classified as a road tyre as are Yokohama AD08. Which one of the cars Steve?

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL and I thought the pit lane speed limit was 10mph !!!!!
That was Flynn on the video! The pit lane exit is part of the Sprint course on the Castle Combe circuit.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
LOL, that is one horrible Pit lane as well as its concrete slabs and very dirty !

Probably the R35 but you never know I might spice it up with the R33

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Very interested in this.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll add you guys onto the list on the R35 section of the forum.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Would have been nice to have Oulton included for the NW members, but I do like Combe.
Would need to know dates really.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oulton uses the rally track for the sprints, it is very slippery and quite narrow, not the actual race circuit. Darin felt it was not really a suitable track for the GTRs although Flynn has competed here at this years sprint with his R35.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Nice idea!

Shame the vid only features R35's.....kind of sends the wrong message TBH. Unless i had REALLY read the text I would have thought it was GTROC R35 Sprint Series :chairshot .....
Not here to have a go at what is a very good idea......just pointing out some ways to spread the message a bit more clearly!!
Totally agree with the above. Especially as this was posted in the R35 "General" section first, then in the Skyline "General" section some 20 or so minutes later. I too thought it was a R35 GTR only event and didn't even bother reading it first time around.

Actually, why was this not posted in the Meetings and Events section of the forum anyway ? That's where this should be, a section that does NOT differentiate between Skylines and R35 GTR's.

As Tarmac Terror said, not here to have a go, but a little more care in where things are posted, and using the correct sections of the forum would help alleviate comments like mine and Tarmac's

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
600HP sort of rules me out unless I take off two or three HT leads, which will make the old girl a bit lumpy!

Could you not do a sort of power/weight ratio class structure? Would seem much fairer.

DaveG

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Totally agree with the above. Especially as this was posted in the R35 "General" section first, then in the Skyline "General" section some 20 or so minutes later. I too thought it was a R35 GTR only event and didn't even bother reading it first time around.

Actually, why was this not posted in the Meetings and Events section of the forum anyway ? That's where this should be, a section that does NOT differentiate between Skylines and R35 GTR's.

As Tarmac Terror said, not here to have a go, but a little more care in where things are posted, and using the correct sections of the forum would help alleviate comments like mine and Tarmac's
Understand totally and perhaps it would be better (as you will note that is what normally happens for club events) to create a central events thread and feed it from Skyline/GT-R sections.

Barry has just stepped into this role and is organising amazing track events (and this sprint series) for all club members in 2014 so cut him some slack on this first one please ;-)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts