GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an Exedy Organic Single plate clutch fitted and it's making a right stink everywhere I go and is juddering in slow moving traffic something rotten.

Anyone know how long before it stops smelling and judding during first gear starts?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I had one of those, it was perfect from the 1st time it was used.

Are you sure is was fitted correctly? Is it the correct one?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robbie from TDP fitted it so I'm sure it was fitted right Andy. I know a lot of the Evo guys had these issues from new with them so I just reckon it's bedding in but wondered how long it would take - I have done only about 250 miles so far with it.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I don't know how long it would need to bed in. I guess it just needs to slip a fair bit without getting too hot.

I might be one of those 'suck it and see' jobbies.

Is it just the friction plate or the whole assy you have?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was the clutch kit (about £300 I think - not sure if the bearing was fitted also - I'll ask Robbie). I got Robbie to pick whatever he thought was suitable and the Exedy Organic does get a good name but after doing a bit of googling does have a bedding in issue for some people apparently. I'll see how it goes - surprised more on here haven't used them although.

3,666 Posts
Just drive it easily for around 400/500 miles. DEF no slipping it , that will over heat the material. After the run in mileage you should be all okay

Every single STD type clutch we fit @ Abbey are made by EXEDY, and we do supply Robbie @TDP.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just drive it easily for around 400/500 miles. DEF no slipping it , that will over heat the material. After the run in mileage you should be all okay

Every single STD type clutch we fit @ Abbey are made by EXEDY, and we do supply Robbie @TDP.
Robbie did indeed get the new turbos and clutch off yourselves for my car's overhaul :).

So I just have to take it very easy for a few weeks then.

I have already give it a bit of ragging - will that have done any harm?

And would a few long motorway drives be the best way to bed it in?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
mine was absolutly stinking for a while, eased off now fitted iit in july, also judders in traffic definatly does not like going slow!, still stinks abit if i slip it by acident a bit, i also gave it a bit of a ragging when i got it but still seems ok.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ive never had any smells from mine. Ive only just started getting judder and thats after nearly 2 years and about 12,000 miles!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yeh mine judders when moving the car in and out of the drive and stinks something rotten - under normal driving it's perfect - still want a twin back in the car though :).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, seems to be very hit and miss about whether they stink and judder. I think it's easing off on the stink front but still judders at low speed but it's nothing you couldn't live with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts