GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car is back at Middlehurst, i might aswell again take advantage of the situation and get something else done to it.

Ive been looking like hell through the forums at all the different opinions on exhausts etc, but its a personal thing, and watching youtube videos is not the best way to get an idea of how a exhaust sounds.

What im looking for mainly is when the car is idle to have a nice loud noticeable Burble, or just generally loud while in idle. With the miltek y pipe when cruising i do get to a point of a nice exotic kind of tone while cruising which i love, this but louder is something i would want, ive seen the JDM Password, some say great but some say just sounds stupid, nothing exotic and quite raspy. Would a full Miltek system be loud while in idle or still fairly subtle?

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmm.. JDM password is just crazzy sound lol, love it !!

But in all honesty i think the Milltek Y-pipe does it for me :) It has a little burble on idle but not too loud, and when you accelerate slowly on first gear it sound pretty damn mean.. Might not sound so mean to you, but people behind you hear it trust me.. The full Milltek system would probably make it a little bit louder but i dont think anywhere near the JDM password level..

Also you should consider how it will be for people around you or people on your street.. I have a friend who had a crazy titanium exhaust on his R8, and after a while it just got so annoying because it was wayyy to loud and jus annoyed everyone he went past lol.. Now he has the milltek exhaust on his car, much more subtle but still sound like a beast..

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Russ fellows exhaust!!

He can alter it to try and get the sound you like.

I loved the look of paswword JDm and Titek but there both just silly money

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Once the car is started they'll all sound loud to begin with due to the mapping certain things open etc, once the car is warmed or you move the car into gear you'll notice instantly it tones down and quieten due to lower idle.

Downpipes will give you burble and popping when you lift off, if I lift off in 2nd, 3rd through town I'll get a nice burble and pop, even if I apply a touch of throttle it'll repeat.

This will give you an idea of Miltek Exhaust system with downpipes and it's not the loudest version of the 3 they do! if volume is what you want.

This clip shows more of the sort of general driving, slow parts, acceleration, few downshifts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once the car is started they'll all sound loud to begin with due to the mapping certain things open etc, once the car is warmed or you move the car into gear you'll notice instantly it tones down and quieten due to lower idle.

Downpipes will give you burble and popping when you lift off, if I lift off in 2nd, 3rd through town I'll get a nice burble and pop, even if I apply a touch of throttle it'll repeat.
Thank you, so already having a non-res Miltek y pipe, would adding a miltek downpipe give me burble and pop?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
SRD do a valve system so you can open it when you want noise and close it for normal driving... Jamie P and Verin + a few other have this i'm sure...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Dean, is your car remapped to stage one or does it just have the y-pipe..?

Because mine has the resonated y-pipe + stage 1 and i still get that burble on idle..

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dean, is your car remapped to stage one or does it just have the y-pipe..?

Because mine has the resonated y-pipe + stage 1 and i still get that burble on idle..
Mine is a non-res Miltek Y-Pipe with Stage 1 Ecutek. I get a faint burble, i think my problem is that im trying to compare with how loud my friends Evo 8 is on idle, which of course is a different beast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Full miltek exhaust fitted and it isnt stupidly loud but has a nice tone at lower revs. It is quiet whilst cruising though. A few of my mates who have had just the miltek y-pipe fitted did say that it was much louder on just the y pipe.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a Full miltek exhaust fitted and it isnt stupidly loud but has a nice tone at lower revs. It is quiet whilst cruising though. A few of my mates who have had just the miltek y-pipe fitted did say that it was much louder on just the y pipe.
From what ive read this seems to be the case, miltek y-pipe only is louder than the whole miltek system!

JDM password is loud, but it seems to be loud to a point where it ruins any tone the car did have before.

Meister R seem a little to subtle to me, that leaves HKS and a couple more.

All this is from youtube videos of course, which i agree is not the best way to listen to exhausts. But not sure how to find out any other way.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
From what ive read this seems to be the case, miltek y-pipe only is louder than the whole miltek system!
Marginally if at all.

Fit downpipes and you double the boom and massive increase in DB. If your near Cheltenham area either November 24th / 25th feel free to listen to mine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marginally if at all.

Fit downpipes and you double the boom and massive increase in DB. If your near Cheltenham area either November 24th / 25th feel free to listen to mine.
Ah ok brilliant Andy thank you, so for now i could just get away with getting a good quality downpipes, which would be the best for what im looking for. Im taking it you can mix and match exhaust systems, from down pipes, y pipe, etc etc

1 - 20 of 38 Posts