GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

After spending a long time considering all the off the shelf exhaust options and nearly buying Sinth's Russ Fellows system, I have decided to get my own custom exhaust designed and fabricated by Hayward & Scott. I was pleased to find out that for about £1k, I can get a complete turbo back system built including downpipes, in whatever design, piping and configuration I choose.

I've seen the variety of stuff that it available in piping from 3-4 inches, as well as resonated, non resonated, 4into1, 2into1 etc etc. To be honest, this has left me scratching my head a little.

The emerging wisdom seems to be that 4" is the way to go, but I'm also very fond of the high pitched 'rarri-esque scream that the JDM Password and Meister-R system's produce. I'm contemplating a similar designed system with 4" downpipes, Y-pipe and centre pipe, going into a 1 into 4 merge collector with 4 thinner pipe exits to produce that high pitched sound.

Does anyone have any advice on exhaust design, what considerations I need to make and how the design will affect the performance and sound?

Thanks!

Mart..

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have the meister-r myself and love the noise. It's completely unsilenced and is bloody loud without downpipes though. If going downpipes aswell u may want to consider a silencer on the y-pipe to keep it vaguely sensible!

·
Registered
496 Posts
There's a GTC Titan Drag-R in the classifieds. I have one fitted....again un-silenced but great noise. Single exit so you'll have to fiddle with the redundant exit.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Serious question, why do you want to start from scratch with a design that may not sound good or produce poor results? Asking questions if exhaust design seems a bit odd to me. Speak to Ian at Haywards and ask him for suggestions. He's been doing it long enough to know what he's doing.

Personally I'd with the tried and tested route. Listen to a load, decide which you like assuming it makes power and you can afford it and go for that one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Serious question, why do you want to start from scratch with a design that may not sound good or produce poor results? Asking questions if exhaust design seems a bit odd to me. Speak to Ian at Haywards and ask him for suggestions. He's been doing it long enough to know what he's doing.

Personally I'd with the tried and tested route. Listen to a load, decide which you like assuming it makes power and you can afford it and go for that one.
Hi Ad,

Reason I want to do my own system is firstly cost; off the shelf system are taking the p1ss in terms of cost - I don't see the point in paying £2k+ for a system when I can get my own design for half the price. Secondly, I want a 4" system, which are few and far between, but want the slimmer 4-way exit piping like the two examples above, as they produce a much higher pitched sound that I think is quite distinctive of the GTR engine.

Mart.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i don't think that russ is taking the piss, I thought that the price he charges is pretty fair, if you factor in the cost of the steel and the time it takes to build, I don't think its a way of becoming a millionaire.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The bottom one with a resonated Y-pipe should sound lovely .

You could make the Y-pipe that you can remove the resonator to a straight pipe if you want more or less noise , which some manufacturers already do !

Sport catts also quieten things down a little also .

Mine would consist of all of the above !

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't think that russ is taking the piss, I thought that the price he charges is pretty fair, if you factor in the cost of the steel and the time it takes to build, I don't think its a way of becoming a millionaire.
Hmmm - not sure I agree. When his exhaust was first released (about 3 yrs ago), he made it for Car Planet Racing and it cost £1200. Since then, GTR taxation seems to have increased and he now charges £2000 for the same system, which to be honest is a bit silly when Hayward & Scott will do it for about a grand...

Mart.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you have a look at the OEM design and the nismo version, both have have features and additions for aero - if you've the freedom of a custom design it's something to factor in especially if you're sticking a 4" pipe under there.
Also applies to downpipes unless you're replacing those, Nissan changed the outline on the 2012 to reduce drag and increase efficiency.
I understand the benefit of the 4" section, what's often overlooked is that unless you're doing it in lightweight material its a compromise of HP gain -vs- weight addition.

Like the one to four split, sounds great on *****'s MeisterR which I think is of similar design. Attention to detail on the Apexi is great; the unsilenced Password sounded brutal in an awesome way, but they are gone now aren't they?

Protegimus

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep I payed about that , and he fitted for me in the price :) , when you look at what he does when the system is on the floor the quality is epic. I can justify the price he charges in my own head ,what I can't get my head round the likes of akra system , 5k now that's a lot of penny's for a set of pipes. He will also custom make your system for you I imagine if there is less steel in it the price may come down :).

Good luck with your quest for better sound

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
With akra you are paying a lot more for the material, branding, packaging, development, overheads, advertising, stocking costs and also something towards distribution.

Big difference from visiting a one man band at his premises and fitting a made to order steel exhaust.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just wanted to publicly convey my sincere apologies to Russ Fellows for my misguided remarks about his pricing. It seems a complete system is much less than the £2k that I had originally quoted. My bad.

I'm pleased to say that like many others, I opted for one of Russ' beauties in the end and I'm delighted. Great noise, not too loud, no significant drone. Recommended. :)

Mart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts