GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i got an exhaust manifold temp gauge in the car and the sensor is mounted in the manifold on no4 cylinder just on bend of manifold.I have seen temps upto 1100 dc mainly though during hard driving the temp gauge gets between 900-1000 and then falls off as i change gear increasing with rpm back upto nearly 1000.
The car came in from jap like this and when it gets to almost 1100 it flashes.it only hit 1100 once when the car felt like it wasn't running right, which i put down to dodgy fuel or something like that as it has never been above 1000 normally
What is a safe temp to run??

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I always thought around 900 degrees but isn't the manifold a little close to mount an exhaust temp gauge sender?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree , about 900 celcius (just after the turbo ).But in the manifold i would geuss little higher (how much i dont know exact).The sensors livetime is gonna be shortened by those high temps though.Mine is running 600 celcius but about 15 cm from the turbo and aslong you read the same temp you're gonna get a steady indication. Oke i would not be abble to read the exact temp because of the distance but aslong the car runs fine along with the afr numbers you should be alright. I placed mine in the down pipe right after the turbo elbow. ( for live time issues ) (btw its a defi )

mike

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
1100ºc is to high, I wouldn't like to see more than 950ºc. Having the sensor before the turbo is the best location for it, as the gauge is showing you what the turbo is actually getting.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Bear in mind that the position of the tip of the sensor can affect the temp reading, there is also some thermal lag - I would look at 900 - 920C max on the gauge..... The turbine entry will tend to be hotter than the reading from one cylinder due to cycle averaging

1 - 5 of 5 Posts