GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of choosing a large bore exhaust suitable for trackdays, and I could do with some help regarding ave. noise levels from the various systems available.

At the same time thought it would be handy to do a definitive list with your help.

So those of you that have had their cars noise tested, please fill in your details so we can make up a comprehensive list.

Please keep post clear of general chat.:thumbsup:

Got some details as follows so far..............(from searching previous posts):

Dave Wilkins.........RSR Invidia.......................99dB @6000rpm..........No Bung.............No Cat
SteveC................HKS Super Dragger............107dB @(????)rpm.......No Bung(???)........No Cat(???)

Please cut and paste adding to the list, even if type of exhaust has already been listed, trying to get an average here. If you only have drive by figures or passed, please add those (perhaps for passed, just quote pass figure with a < before it eg <115dB)

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Dave Wilkins.........RSR Invidia.......................99dB @6000rpm..........No Bung.............No Cat
SteveC................HKS Super Dragger............107dB @(????)rpm.......No Bung(???)........No Cat(???)
Paul C..........Trust Titanium Race only.........no bung, no cat, straight thru..........at least 105db @6000 rpm (hasnt been measured yet)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Paul C..........Trust Titanium Race only.........no bung, no cat, straight thru..........at least 105db @6000 rpm (hasnt been measured yet)
rockabilly.ganador sus vertex...no cat.. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
rockabilly.ganador sus vertex...no cat.. [email protected]
nickc.....HKS straight through jobby, no bung, no cat...104dbs @ 6000rpm.

which means i can only go on track days with a 105db limit...bugger ;-(
unless i turn off the boost and fit a retro restrictor which = NO FUN!!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Paul C..........Trust Titanium Race only.........no bung, no cat, straight thru..........at least 105db @6000 rpm
Alex C..........Blitz Nur Spec R.........104db @3000rpm, no cat............ blitz downpipe

·
Registered
345 Posts
Paul C..........Trust Titanium Race only.........no bung, no cat, straight thru..........at least 105db @6000 rpm
Alex C..........Blitz Nur Spec R.........104db @3000rpm, no cat............ blitz downpipe
Floyd......ARC Full Titanium [email protected],500rpm, no cat.....no bung.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Floyd......ARC Full Titanium [email protected],500rpm, no cat.....no bung.
Hissingsyd.....HKS Silent Power...95db @ 4,500, no cat

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
They always test mine at 3/4 throttle = 6000 rpm
Usually it is 108 db but it had been known to test at 106. They reckoned the sound bounced off the car behind:rolleyes: Great test then!
Also induction noise is a factor that is only going to be on drive by's. We need to get that noise meter and start using it on a straight at each track session:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
This test also needs to note if the car has a single or twin turbos. The other decerning factor is the boost. The more boost the more air flow the more noise( to a point). At some race tracks they check the noise static at 3/4 throttle. This is fine for a NA but on a turbo its useless as the car is not making any boost.

My car is 85dba stactic @5500rpms and 108dba at 2 bar @8500rpms.

just a few points,

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Great comments guys,
I understand you'll get diffirent noise levels with singles, twins, different size turbo's, boost pressures, screamer pipes, etc, but listing all that would make it too complex. (people adding different figures for the same system should cover some variations)

As many tracks do a static rev test, that's what I'm most interested in. During this test, boost won't really come into it, neither will many other things.

Feel free to add to the post such as Dave Wilkins 106-108dB comments.

Keep them coming, there's a number of systems not yet on the list:thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
GTR34
95db measured static @ 4500/5000rpm = 3/4 max rpm .
HKS downpipes, decat & silent power rear silencer.
500bhp on twin GTSS turbos @ 1.3 bar. Standard airbox with Nismo panel filter.
Approx 30 track events attended in two years, never had any problems with noise at static or flyby.

If anyone seriously wants to run at track events then 95/96db is the target.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Steve R A BEUT........from [email protected] static test to 104db at full chat on circuit with Apexi baffle closed and open respectively ! Have the HKS Hi Power "Silent" de cat exhaust syatem and have tried almost everything from cans on the rear of the exhaust to baffled CAT pipes as the car is a track day car I have owned for 9years. If you want futher info re all the ups and downs of various cicuits and what I have had to go through to get a 500bhp car past noise testing at all UK circuits PM me.

·
Administrator
31,902 Posts
Sorry to drag it off topic, I have a db meter that I can donate to GTROC, we could loan it out for measurements.
toby, i'm in need of a DB meter to measure before a day at bedford in december... however, i have the Nur spec, so i think i know the answer....

dunno if you want me to be the first loaneeeee ;)

mook

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve R A BEUT........from [email protected] static test to 104db at full chat on circuit with Apexi baffle closed and open respectively ! Have the HKS Hi Power "Silent" de cat exhaust syatem and have tried almost everything from cans on the rear of the exhaust to baffled CAT pipes as the car is a track day car I have owned for 9years. If you want futher info re all the ups and downs of various cicuits and what I have had to go through to get a 500bhp car past noise testing at all UK circuits PM me.
Steve,

Please post it up on here. As this thread is about track noise levels, would be very interesting.

Cheers
Gordon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.