GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anybody has any views on the benefits of exhaust insulating wrap? I have heard that it is supposed to be beneficial in terms of a minor power gain and in keeping under bonnet temps down. As I'll have access to my front pipes next week when fitting new turbos, I just wondered if it was worth doing them while I've got the opportunity.

:)

Peter.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Heat Management

Peter,

It’s well worth doing, I used exhaust warp on one of my old cars and it reduced the engine bay heat well with within the claimed 70% it never overheated again.

I would have had my GT-R done this week but was unable to obtain any in time.

Shin told me a lot of Japanese GT-R owners use exhaust wrap, but he advised only up to the turbos. The trapped heat can cause the bearings to over heat.

You might want to use some extra heat shield on the underside of the manifold heat cover as well.

Paul.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Any ideas where you can get some of the exhaust wrap? And how is it fastened to the manifold and dump-pipe, just with wire I presume.

Jason.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There are a few advantages with the exhaustwrap. One is, as you´ve mentioned above, the lower temperature you´ll have under bonnet. Another is that if a pipe is warmer the gases inside get higher speed passing through. This means (in theory) that you will gain horsepower as the exhausts get removed from the turbos quicker and doesn´t slow them down as much as it would otherwise.

Shin is right, (as usual): Don´t put the wrap on the turbos.

Hope you all understood my English? :)

Cheers!
/Perra-with-an-exhaustwraped-Impreza :D

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Apparently,

Using wrap on the manifold and dump pipes, causes the heat to be retained which has the effect of accelerating the exhaust gases, as they cool and expand, through the system towards the cooler air at the tailpipe. Which means less lag / earlier boost.

Now,

On the GTS the intake to the plenum runs over the top of the engine block, and causes the charge to pickup some heat from the engine. Does anyone know if this same wrap can be used to keep heat out of this pipe ?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Perra, perfect English and much better than my Swedish. :)

They're all wrapped and waiting to go....

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Peter,

Nice bit of wrapping there mate, will send my xmas pressies to you later in the year LOl!!

No seriously i am also considering this, as you can see the heat haze on top of the bonnet after a "quick" run out!!:D

Stu

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
PeterE said:
Thanks Perra, perfect English and much better than my Swedish. :)

They're all wrapped and waiting to go....

No problems Peter. Glad I could be of some help.

BTW, think I forgot to mention that the first time you start the engine and the wrapping gets hot, be prepared that it will smoke a lot!! Don´t worry, this is normal. If you want, you can drive it a bit, stop and open the hood until the smoke clears out and then take off again. Repeat until there comes no more smoke, done.

Cheers!
/P

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Perra, I wouldn't have been prepared for that to happen. Somehow, I'm not looking forward to firing her up when I've finished fitting everything! I should have confidence I suppose. :) Decided to go for injectors, pump and cam pulleys now as well. Decided against head gasket for the moment as this should be OK for 1.2/1.3 bar, cams to follow.

Thanks Stu, funnily enough I do tend to do a lot of the wrapping up at Christmas!! Finally found something I'm good at! I'll let you know if it makes much difference.

Anybody know of any reasonable after market exhaust manifolds? The stock ones look very un-gas flowed!

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Peter,

if you don't want to fork out for tubular manifolds, you could get them extrude-honed or something similar, or failing that, get the Dremel out...

Are you fitting the 2530s yourself?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Philip. Who would do extrude honing, any names, numbers?

Yes, I am fitting them myself (with some valuable assistance from RonS). They're actually 2510s, didn't see the need for 2530s for the power/torque I'm looking for.

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
No experience of them, but a quick search reveals:

Extrude Hone Ltd
6 Centurian Court
Brick Close Kiln Farm
Milton Keynes
Bucks
MK11 3JB

Phone: 019087 263636
Fax: 01908 262141

Failing that, I suppose there must be a number of engineering firms who would tackle this sort of thing (deburring services, perhaps?)

Phil

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think Joss was investigating extrusion a while back.
Ask him if he has any further information

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Manifolds

I believe GT-Art will soon be selling specially manufactured one .
Don't know of the prices tough Peter .

Im think it is the only way to go for I have been in a car that has had the manifolds 'done' but it still shuffled a bit !

Good luck.It will all be worth it in the end and you will have an awesome car which will make you smile to no end !

Keep us posted on the effects of the wrapping for I'm thinking of going down that route also !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts