GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving the car today and all of a sudden started making a loud ticking noise under the bonnet.. boosts fine, plenty of power, all readings on the pfc seem ok i.e. AFMs etc.

When i stopped had a look under the bonnet and the noise is coming from sowehere between the two turbos on exhaust side of the block. I initally thought it could be turbo grinding away but it makes the noise immediatley from startup and changes in frequency as you rev the engine.. havent got any smoke or oil coming out of exhaust. It does sound like a blowing gasket but i think have tomei full gasket kit on. Do the exhaust gaskets go done about 10,000 miles on the engine at 600hp and the turbos been on and off twice?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any gasket can go, but to be honnest without a lot of abuse, dodgy gasket or incorrect fitment i doubt it would have gone within 10,000 :confused:

When and why where the turbos taken off?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All work done at RB Motorsport.. would be speaking to them but its xmas hols and they are closed! Turbos were off for a recondition about 10 months ago. If it was a turbo would it be making a similar noise to a blowing gasket.. or maybe it could be downpipes as that is 4 years old now.. gredddy one dont think its stainless... Ill try starting car from cold today see if it makes noise from cold...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bit of a late repost.. but all sorted was a stud on the front turbo turbine side.. it had sheared and was blowing there.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I am still unconvinced that aftermarket turbo elbows without the support struts the stock cast ones have, and possibly the flange stability of a casting, do not give more trouble. I have personally seen 3 RB26DETT engines with aftermarket elbows that were blowing at the turbine housing / elbow gasket. Stock ones seem 100% reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts