GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to squeeze in several Europe road trips this year, and one of them I'm considering is the Rico Rally in June.

Have only seen a few short references to it on here, and have spoken briefly to a couple of owners at Litchfields last year who were going in 2013. Would appreciate comments on past experiences or if anyone is going this year? Thanks.

·
Vendor
480 Posts
Fantastic time with some the nicest people you'll meet :)

There's a few guys on here going again this year who I'm sure will chime in. More of a rally in the classic sense of the word. All sorts of people going, lots of couples and a huge range of ages, you'll quickly meet like minded people and it's extremely well organised and guided with options for various routes and notable places to visit on the way.

Any info I can happily help with! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Went last year and going again this year, fantastic experience with such friendly people. Had the pleasure of meeting Andy last year and he now maintains and tunes my GTR. It's a great way to see the sights around Europe and worth doing atleast once but i can guarantee you will book on again.

As Andy has said if you want any info then PM me and i'll help in any way possible.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Went last year and going again this year in June although this time with a few more horse powers. :cool:

Pure driving experience and a good bunch of people with all sorts of cars. Highly recommend signing up. We'll have a little GTR posse echoing through the mountains!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the comments, sounds like I need to sign up. Never driven through Europe before (though only moved here from Aus 18mths ago), so good to know there are a few on here that I can ask questions of beforehand and tag along with during the trip.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Fantastic time with some the nicest people you'll meet :)

There's a few guys on here going again this year who I'm sure will chime in. More of a rally in the classic sense of the word. All sorts of people going, lots of couples and a huge range of ages, you'll quickly meet like minded people and it's extremely well organised and guided with options for various routes and notable places to visit on the way.

Any info I can happily help with! :thumbsup:
Sounds like something I'd be interested in. When in June is it, where does it go, how much does it cost and what's included, who are the organisers and where do I sign up?

That's all for now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Sounds like something I'd be interested in. When in June is it, where does it go, how much does it cost and what's included, who are the organisers and where do I sign up?

That's all for now.
Just checked the website and got the answers or most of them. Silly me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Officially signed up for June ...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great news mate, that will make 5 R35 GTR's on the Rally this year then. You won't regret signing up for it either :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, am really looking forward to it. Closer to the event would appreciate some tips on driving on the continent.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You will be fine over their, was my first time on the wrong side of the road last year and I actually prefer it.

As said any info just message me mate or add me on Facebook " Tim Kite "

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I'm still considering signing up for this but the cost keeps putting me off. The last three years I've done 3 -4 weeks out there with the wife for about £3k all in, Euro tunnel, petrol, hotels, food, booze, the lot, so to spend nearly £2k just for B & B and the company of others seems a bit excessive, as nice as that would be.

Also, having worked in Europe on and off for over 20 years and speaking French fairly well means I'm less reliant on someone else doing it for me.

Meantime, I'm keeping the option of a trip to the Pyrenees open.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I can't wait! This is going to be an epic trip with 5 GTRs going along. Last year you could hire a walkie talkie which is really fun with all the banter going on. When "Two donkeys are at it in the field to your right" came over the radio, that was the closest I came to having a little accident.

Driving on the right is fine, at no time did I feel the need show them the correct side to drive on, surprising how quickly you get used to it. There are some things you need to carry by law such as 2 breatherlisers, couple of hi viz jackets etc. you can buy kits online that have everything you need.

Didn't look at the route yet but if we go in to Switzerland then you need to get a vignette which is basically a sticker for the window to use their roads. Also worth getting a toll tag thingy for France so you can drive right through the tolls without having to stop and pay.

Speed camera detectors are illegal in France. You're not even supposed to let them be shown on your satnav and the Gendarmerie won't think twice about fining you....for anything they can.

The Nissan satnav is ok but not as good as a tom tom with euro maps IMHO.
I took a Gerry can last year knowing how few miles you get from a tank with brisk driving, but didn't need it, there's plenty of places to get good fuel.

Will be great to meet you all!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't wait! This is going to be an epic trip with 5 GTRs going along. Last year you could hire a walkie talkie which is really fun with all the banter going on. When "Two donkeys are at it in the field to your right" came over the radio, that was the closest I came to having a little accident.

Driving on the right is fine, at no time did I feel the need show them the correct side to drive on, surprising how quickly you get used to it. There are some things you need to carry by law such as 2 breatherlisers, couple of hi viz jackets etc. you can buy kits online that have everything you need.

Didn't look at the route yet but if we go in to Switzerland then you need to get a vignette which is basically a sticker for the window to use their roads. Also worth getting a toll tag thingy for France so you can drive right through the tolls without having to stop and pay.

Speed camera detectors are illegal in France. You're not even supposed to let them be shown on your satnav and the Gendarmerie won't think twice about fining you....for anything they can.

The Nissan satnav is ok but not as good as a tom tom with euro maps IMHO.
I took a Gerry can last year knowing how few miles you get from a tank with brisk driving, but didn't need it, there's plenty of places to get good fuel.

Will be great to meet you all!
Thanks for the suggestions, and think I will get a Euro Tom Tom or similar … the GTR satnav is about the worst I've ever had.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Don't buy a new one. An earlier XXL would be preferable. You can design your route on Google Maps and transfer it quickly to the Tom Tom using the free Tyre software programme. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm still considering signing up for this but the cost keeps putting me off. The last three years I've done 3 -4 weeks out there with the wife for about £3k all in, Euro tunnel, petrol, hotels, food, booze, the lot, so to spend nearly £2k just for B & B and the company of others seems a bit excessive, as nice as that would be.

Also, having worked in Europe on and off for over 20 years and speaking French fairly well means I'm less reliant on someone else doing it for me.

Meantime, I'm keeping the option of a trip to the Pyrenees open.
+1

You pay for having your hand held. Perhaps wise for the first time, after that get some mates and do it on the cheap(er) basis.

Satan.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those attending, got the email from Rico about the hotel the night before. Anyone doing that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts