GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I need some help.

I am looking into getting a second hand GTR 34, but I am not familiar with the common problems of this model.

THe car I am looking at is produced in year 1999. It has 51,000, never crashed....

the car looks perfect on the outside, inside, and underneath (no oil leaks at least).

What I want to know is what are the most common problem a GTR 34 has and what should I look out for when I am getting a car this old.

That guy is asking for 25,000 pounds or 41000 usd.

Can someone please give me some advice on getting this second hand GTR.

THANKS SO MUCH

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I would say drive the car first make sure it sounds good,all the gears shift smoothly, oil pressure is good, and all the electrics work.

some questions I think you should ask is.
Has the engine been modified, or replaced?
service history of the car oil change intervals.

first thing u should do after getting the car is change timeing belt and a complete oil change.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I go with all that, the service history is important, the car sounds quite inexpensive where are you buying it, which country?
Other than what has been said the 34 is a tough car and shouldnt be showing any problems at that mileage if it has been properly cared for.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was also looking for some common R34 GT-R knowledge. Is there a major difference between the V-Spec and Standard models? I only know of the stiffer suspension, front and rear diffusers, ETS-PRO, and "special gauges"...Found a Standard model 2000 GT-R with 61,000km for $38,000 USD. Is this a deal or not? The dealer is legit (Nismo's Factory Zele), so I'm not worried about the condition too much.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
For the complete description of all the Skylines and their differences go to Prospec's website, I cant remember where it is on the site but you should find the info easy enough.
Everything you need to know is on there. Or go to GT-Culture the same info is on there also.
I dont know about US prices but in the UK the cheapest cars are around £28k + (someone will always say they found one cheaper) but the best ones can go for as much as £40-45k and evrything in between, so $38k sounds good

·
Registered
122 Posts
So for the most part, the V-Spec and Standard models are basically the same, with a couple of added features on the V-Spec. I don't know if the extra $5-$7k for a V-Spec would be worth it, if I can easily add the missing components to a Standard GT-R myself. That seems pointless...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I take it that you are from the USA....? I would also look at legalising the car as it is nearly impossible to do it. Motorex are the only people who have done it in the past and i dont think they do it anymore. Perhaps you should speak to them before handing any cash over for the car.

Cheers

Gez

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
True, also it isnt a case of simply adding the parts to make it a VSpec, I believe the programming is different also but Im not positive, however its best to read up on them using Prospec website, I think most of us would buy the 34 VSpec if we could

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
liquidculture said:
True, also it isnt a case of simply adding the parts to make it a VSpec, I believe the programming is different also but Im not positive, however its best to read up on them using Prospec website, I think most of us would buy the 34 VSpec if we could
I hate to, but I will have to disagree with you on this one. I could have bought a V-Spec when I bought my R34 but the added coin didnt outweigh the V-Spec options, especially when I was changing the suspension anyway. The diffuser/spoiler are the coolest part of a V-Spec in my book and a guy could have those off YahooJP for a couple hundred $$.

You could easily change a non-Vspec into a V-spec. Add all the options and slap a sticker on it and you are good...bottom line is that it will never truly be a V-Spec unless it came that way from Nissan.

Since you are from the US I will give you my analogy...look at a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 and a 1993 Mustang GT, other than stickers and very few options (spoiler, fog lights and different tail lights) the LX is the same exact car, but is usually quite a bit cheaper...your paying for the status of a sticker. If your importing this car you could easily slap a V-Spec II sticker or even a V-Spec II NuR sticker on it and 97.3% of the people who saw it wouldnt know the difference.

Good luck getting one into the States, let me know how that works out for ya! Oh yea, Zele is a top notch company, I dont believe that I have ever seen a car on their site with 61K on it (Pretty high by Japanese standards) Got any pics of the car?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Have had a look in more detail: V-Spec has (apart from diffusers and suspension) Attesa Pro, an active LSD and a brake air duct, the air duct isnt so big a deal but the other two might be worth having.
The differences between standard and V-SpecII are rather more: Dry carbon bonnet, N1 rear calipers and discs, ally pedals, black cloth interior, clear front & side indicator lenses, rad has plastic caps not ally, boot has no lining, centre console different colour, different HIFI, oil pressure reading in kPa, no adjustment for xenon beam, different switches for rear view mirrors, engine bay painted body colour not black, rear diffuser made by different co., different steering wheel.
Then if you get into the Nur spec things seem rather more worth while: N1 block, water pump, oil pump, turbines, exhaust manifold, pistons, rings, conrods, balanced crank, I/C rubber hoses, and a gold cam cover and chassis plaque!!

Now there is a load of stuff you probably dont care about, wether any of it is worth it is up to the individual I guess. If you are going to modify the car then probably not although the Attessa Pro and LSD are worth having.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
stealth said:
The price of a rear defuser for the 34 v-spec is disgusting money :eek: I may be wrong but I think the non v price against the v from new was about 3 grand
They are sick $$ new, if you watch yahoo JP they go for a much more reasonable price....one of the items that I really wish I would have picked up before I left there... :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is a pic of the car:

So it's worth having Active LSD and ATTESA E-TS PRO on the V-spec GT-R instead of a Standard GT-R? My purpose is simply for the track. The ATTESA E-TS PRO is different in which way? Active LSD is not a problem, and chances are I will change it anyways.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys..

So do you guys think its worth the price? 370,000 HKD or 43,000 USD for a 5 year car?
I really like GTR’s but with that money I can get a brand new Evolution MR or a Sti or a second hand M3 E46, etc.

Does the car break down easily, does the transmission hold up well, the engine hold up well?

How about the rust on chassis or bodyparts?

Any chronic problems on the vehicle? The 350z has tire feathering problems.. does the GTR have problems like that?

To fully restore the car to perfect condition, how much do you approximate the price is going to be for this stock uncrashed GTR? Meaning, 5 years of driving is goign to soften the chassis a bit, so adding chassis brace will bring back chassis ridigity...

I know its a lot of questions, but this is also my first car. Thanks a lot guys, help me become a future GTR owner!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I think its good value if the car is sound. They are tough cars and as standard if serviced correctly nothing should be wrong on a 5 year old car, transmission or engine, and thgere are no chronic problems. Shouldnt need any stiffening either for standard output.
Tyre feathering may be an issue depends how the wheels and suspension have been set up.
I think you will be more than happy with it especially compared to your other choices, just make sure the servicing is done properly and the car is honest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks liquid for your comments.

The thing is, most of the transaction are between 260,000 to 300,000 HKD.

That dude bought the car for 290,000 HKD and he is bumping up the price to 370,000.

I mena, I love this car but its a seocnd hand with a lot of miles on it.

I talked him down to 340,000 and he is not willing to go any lower...

geezz... can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
invisible-z said:
thanks liquid for your comments.

The thing is, most of the transaction are between 260,000 to 300,000 HKD.

That dude bought the car for 290,000 HKD and he is bumping up the price to 370,000.

I mena, I love this car but its a seocnd hand with a lot of miles on it.

I talked him down to 340,000 and he is not willing to go any lower...

geezz... can anyone help me out?

How many miles is alot...and what is 370,000 HKD in USD?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Did you say it was 50000 miles? if so that is not a lot but within another 20000 miles some things are going to need replacing probably.
I am selling my 33 (converted to 400bhp) with 52000 miles on it and I am confident that the buyer will have a good reliable car that will last him and it is 1995 so a fair bit older than the one you are looking at.
I would have no worries about the mileage, they can take it (with proper servicing - oil changes) and that would not be something that would put me off if the price was right.
Its hard to know what the correct prices are where you are, as they are different here but it seems fair, are there any others around in your part of the world that you can compare it to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
370000 / 7.8 = 47435 USD
290000 / 7.8 = 36250 USD

The price above is the price he is trying to sell
The price below is the price I know he bought it at.

290,000 is the average price most GTR's in Hong Kong. Somehow the price level is slightly lower than Japan

or maybe I am wrong.

But still, if I know he bought it for 36,000 USD, there is not way I will pay him anything more than 36,000 USD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts