GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

sorry for the nubbish question im sure, but ive never done it before and would like to re-do my engine bay fuel lines using AN fittings and braided hoses... if someone wouldnt mind explaining the procedure for it.

I HAVE 3 QUESTIONS I NEED ANSWERED LOL...

i imagine it starts something like this:

measure the length of braided hose you need. cut it to length. that part i get lol...

1) but what i mainly want to know is how you attach the AN fitting to the end of the hose such that it doesnt come loose? or leak!? is it glue? a pressure fitting? a hose clamp? how?!

2) and then the next question is.. how do you decide what diamter hose you need, and what kind of fittings to get?

3) simply is the - 8 AN bigger than a -4AN? is it reverse like electrical wiring where a zero guage is biggest? or what?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Essintially you use a reusable fitting which is two piece, the collar threads on to the outer hose, the opening has threads for the barb to be threaded in, lube the threads good as they will become hot as you tighten the barb down, as the barb goes into the hose it basically presses the inner wall against the collar thus producing the seal.

2=1/8"
4=1/4"
6=3/8"
8=1/2"
10=5/8"
12=3/4"
14=7/8"
16=1"

Hope that helps a little

·
Registered
623 Posts
have you got any fittings on hand?

Sorry I don't have any pics of this process, but if you had a fitting to look at it would be a ureka moment, making the hose is fairly easy.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, so ill probably just go ahead and order a bunch up and see what i can mess around with.

also i noticed people used all these same lines and fitting to make oil coolers/

thats prettycool!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't forget to wrap the collar with something to avoid marring the nice finish before you put it in the vice, same with the wrench used to tighten the barb down. Take your time, use a chop saw if you have one.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks so much.

so my next questions will naturally be, when choosing and desiging the fuel supply system.

im going to upgrade the intake fuel pump of course first.

and then starting from the firewall run the braided AN lines first into a fuel filter, then a FPR with gauge, then into an aftermarket twin entry fuel rail and of course some 600 cc injectors.

so... do i buy injectors based on the size of my fuel rail? or do i buy my fuel rail based on the size of my injectors?

thats basically the question.

and can anyone reccomend a good combination? like id prefer to use the same name brands... like sard, or HKS or tomei...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just in case I mis-understood what you are planning, the FPR goes on the return line back to tank.

AFAIK, there are two injector rail diameters, 10.5 and 11mm. Not neccesary to buy same brand, as the injectors will have size written in spec. just get same rail to fit. SOme co's do both sizes as an option (Greddy)

In a bind, aparently an 11mm injector will fit albeit a little tight into a 10.5 rail.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The job of the FRP is to back up the correct amount of fuel pressure, only letting the excess return to tank.

If you think about it, it needs to be after the Fuel injectors to maintain pressure in the system.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ah ha! good....
understood..

would it be better to get a mechanical engine bay fuel pressure gauge... or say a defi in cockpit style gauge to monitor fuel pressure?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also one last question... where the fuel lines come through the fire wall...you obviously can not hook up some AN fitting to it there...u just have to plug the braided hoses onto the send/return fuel lines with a hose clamp? or what have you guys done in the past?

anyone have a fuel setup they could show me with lots of pics? ive alrdy looked at the entire "engine bay pics" thread.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
from front to back?...
you mean 2 lines.. right? one send and one return?

what dash AN sizing hose do ppl use for each? -10 send -8 return?
and then what fo you connect it to at the back? ...

i don't want to run a swirl pot. i want to stick with an "in-tank" fuel pump setup..

and do you run the lines under the car, or tucked into where people usualy run thick gauge wires for the battery (oon the underside of the carpet)...

thanks, i appreciate all the help in desiging the fuel system.

also, at that point can i then remove the old fuel lines from under the car?

thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts