GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my oil temp gauge went dead - the gauge itself works (controlling it through the Apexi head unit) so must be the sensor which is in the sump plug. And lo and behold...the wiring took a hit and the plug itself must have grazed something. My downpipe is technically the lowest point on the car and it's gotten its share of scrapes, but the extended sump is the first thing that would hit anything.

It would have been quite easy for Trust to cast a thick ridge in front of the sump plug, running lengthwise, to protect that critical nut which is very low, especially if you've lowered your car as much as I have. Oh well.

So I'm putting the new oil temp sensor in the oil filter relocation unit - there's a sensor bung, so why not use it? So I'll now be reading oil temp from the filter, not from the very bottom of the sump. In theory temp readings might be affected by hot underbonnet temps, but on the other hand, every time I drive in a heavy cold rain, all the water splashing and cooling the sump plug made my oil readings inaccurate - if your gauge is reading 65 degrees, then you run through a long series of puddles and the needle starts plummeting...

And I'm going to have a chunk of metal shaped and welded to the sump to guard the plug. Is the Trust extended sump steel or aluminum? (basically, I'm asking if the oilpan itself is steel or aluminum, since the two are welded together and therefore are the same type of metal?)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
a sump guard is worth it's weight in gold in rural scotland

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The GTR has an Alloy sump, And the Trust Extension is also Alloy (Being that you can't weld steel to alloy)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by alloy you mean an alloy (or blend) of what metals? Or do you mean just aluminum? Need to tell my welder for certain what it is.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well then, that's what superglue was made for!! :D

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
try liquid metal instead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts