GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be handy for most of us on here, although most people know this already

FLARES - Beware...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had this notice come through, cant say my direct source as could get in trouble but Police etc involved...

ATTENTION DRIVERS OF IMPORTED VEHICLES

Information has been recieved that Japanese vehicles, usually people carrier size and above, are required to carry a flare to be used in an emergency situation. THESE SHOULD BE REMOVED ON ENTRY TO UK, however many are not and remain in the vehicle, unknown to the new vehicle owners.

THESE FLARES ARE A CLASS 1 EXPLOSIVE AND IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSESS ONE.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FULL EXPLOSIVE LICENCE TO POSSESS ONE.

If you have one in your vehicle they are to be disposed of by Explosive licensed personnel.

(They have the same potential as a bullet....)

Ok so we found one in a vehicle at work, i got excited, thought cool i'll have that for mine but word got round and before i knew it the police had been notified and next day at 2pm an Explosives officer came out and removed it from the premises and while we waited for him to turn up it had to be kept in a metal drum in sand...

I mean to me, it seems way way way over the top as they are factory fitted items in Japan and also used in america.. The Army also use them, however they do have a shelf life and the internals of the flame do deteriorate and break up over time causing them to become potentially volatile.. It has also been suggested to me of there danger in an accident or if they get into the wrong hands, i.e... Children, people not having a clue what it is, setting it off and then having a burning beakon for over an hour they dont know what to do with, also they can be used in police chases by thieves to try and get police to back off in a chase / thrown at police vehicles.....

I will be passing this notice around forums and i urge you to do it too if you are members of other forums as at least we can make everyone aware of it as some of us may be affected by it and knowing the Police, the first time you may hear about it is when you are being fined for having one....

Hope this may be of some help.

Cheers. Matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes mate, i have set off loads with no problems. I posted it to bring attention to the legality side of it as i would hate to read that some one was stopped and all hell broke loose due to a poxy flare being in the car !!! I think most are fitted in the passanger foot well or around that area but you will know what it is if you find it !!!!!!!

Cheers . Matt

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes mate, i have set off loads with no problems. I posted it to bring attention to the legality side of it as i would hate to read that some one was stopped and all hell broke loose due to a poxy flare being in the car !!! I think most are fitted in the passanger foot well or around that area but you will know what it is if you find it !!!!!!!

Cheers . Matt
ta mate, i'll need to look for it. my car was imported 2 years ago but the guy didn't do much with it since it came in...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont know mate, but i do know that i have had messages from people saying about pilots survival suits etc ,but these will be checked at certain intervals & replaced as needed. I am not trying to say " get rid of your flares because they will explode !!! " i am just making people aware that they could get pulled by the rozzers & if that certain copper didnt get his oats for a few weeks he could be an arse & you could be in a whole lot more trouble than you could imagine. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers, Matt

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Thought this might be handy for most of us on here, although most people know this already

FLARES - Beware...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had this notice come through, cant say my direct source as could get in trouble but Police etc involved...

Information has been recieved that Japanese vehicles, usually people carrier size and above, are required to carry a flare to be used in an emergency situation. THESE SHOULD BE REMOVED ON ENTRY TO UK, however many are not and remain in the vehicle, unknown to the new vehicle owners.

If you have one in your vehicle they are to be disposed of by Explosive licensed personnel.

Ok so we found one in a vehicle at work, i got excited, thought cool i'll have that for mine but word got round and before i knew it the police had been notified and next day at 2pm an Explosives officer came out and removed it from the premises and while we waited for him to turn up it had to be kept in a metal drum in sand...

I mean to me, it seems way way way over the top as they are factory fitted items in Japan and also used in america.. The Army also use them, however they do have a shelf life and the internals of the flame do deteriorate and break up over time causing them to become potentially volatile.. It has also been suggested to me of there danger in an accident or if they get into the wrong hands, i.e... Children, people not having a clue what it is, setting it off and then having a burning beakon for over an hour they dont know what to do with, also they can be used in police chases by thieves to try and get police to back off in a chase / thrown at police vehicles.....

I will be passing this notice around forums and i urge you to do it too if you are members of other forums as at least we can make everyone aware of it as some of us may be affected by it and knowing the Police, the first time you may hear about it is when you are being fined for having one....

Cheers. Matt
This post is largely inaccurate and most of it should be ignored.

THESE FLARES ARE A CLASS 1 EXPLOSIVE AND IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSESS ONE. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FULL EXPLOSIVE LICENCE TO POSSESS ONE.

- totally WRONG

While flares need to be treated with repect they are NOT an explosive. Neither is it an offence to own them. You can buy flares from a chandlery for use on boats. They do have a service life after which they should be replaced but they do not deteriorate become dangerous. The reason for the date is actually to ensure they work correctly when needed.

As for having one in the car in the uk well, a warning triangle is probably a better idea. As for allowing children near them of course that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was not posted to be taken as the law!!!! :chairshot:chairshot only passed it on as i thought it may be of some use to some people on here.

Matt.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Next thing the will want us to stop filling bottles up with gas and throwing them around with a lit bit of t-shirt attached...party poopers.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
FLARES - Beware...

(They have the same potential as a bullet....).
This sounds like a wind up to me:D:D.

....So now (As it's required as a safety device by law here) every car in Japan carries explosives with the same potential as a bullet!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine was clipped into a holder on the left hand side of the nearside footwell. had the date of expiry on the side 9/2009.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

FLARES - Beware...

Cheers. Matt

absolute b*llocks, ignor thread, dont worry, they are not nearly as much fun as this post would have you believe, and im pretty sure they get LESS dangerouis with age not more!!

if they were that dangerous customs would have caught on a long time ago and remove them as a matter of course.

the police in this story must have thought that you planned to use the flare with some sort of criminal intent.

kev

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I only passed this on as it was passed on to me by a friend who is in an ' official ' position. This did not involve me in any way what so ever. Just thought it might be of interest to some people .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts