GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what FCon5 is in relation to the electronics? Is it something to do with boost control?
Thanks
Sammy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FConV

thanks a lot guy
great site - must save more money, must save more money...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
F-CON 5

The F - con 5 is a very very good peice of kit fitted in seconds mapped in days and the results are brilliant,the beast now has full rpm without the big missfire,also driven aggresivly at night er tonight i saw a 6 foot wide flame out at the back between gear changes awsom
Gary:p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
On the subject of ECUs...has anyone heard/used GEMS Ecus???
I believe they are mostly used for rally cars.....but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ecu,s

Dino ,
I have had dealings with GEMS not bad they make ecus for a lot of manufactures.
I am currently designing a system myself using components from italy, the main features are ignition output is directly driven from the ecu with inteligent drivers, knock control, data logging at >2000Hz, self learning closed loop boost control, and self learning fuel injection at all rpms closed loop with a target lambda
This is a few of its good points, i should have it installed on the beast soon, I will also be able to supply ready made kits to others
so start saving:D
regards
Gary
GTART.co.uk
D.E.M.S. ltd
Digital Engine Management Systems ltd

·
Registered
32 Posts
damnit..

keep reading threads like these just make me want that R33 more and more. In my Zed I only get a wooompph and no visible flame :(

I've been warned off Anti-Lag by one of my rally mates, on their EVO they run anti-lag (get this, if my memory serves me right they just had to desolder a link in the ECU) but it rattles the turbo off the manifold and worse case scenario shafts the turbine (sic). If you're dragging then get a flat shifting black box so you don't have to lift off, hell on the clutch.. but what price is there on tenths... I think theres two types of Anti-Lag, one is where the ECU massively dicks the ignition so theres a complete misfire (LINK does this) and the other is in combination with that but the engine doesn't actually produce any vacumn as the throttle plates are ever so slightly open.. hence why some rally cars have that really nasty high idle. I could be talking utter bollix as it is second hand info !

Gary.. have you had a chance to check that rides page of yours ?

Cheers
Rowan

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I was just wondering about the ALS as a mate of mine with an Evo 6 is considering running such a system with a GEMS ECU.
How is the turbo kept on boost at low rpms. I take it some sort of injector must fire fuel in the manifold to keep the turbo spinning:confused: ....hearing all those bangs from rally cars as they take off at the start of a stage....can't be too got to on a road car!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
anti lag

running anti lag in a road car will set your pride and joy up in flames as the exhaust will be running at white heat this is how ford motor sport changed the exhaust systems every rally because the heat made them fall apart and they were puka
systems.

something to think about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ALS how it works to us commoners.. I'm sure this is a vast oversimplification.. but here goes

When you lift off the throttle the ignition is effectively switched off (advanced massively so it can't create any cylinder pressure), as well as this I think the injectors get opened up to full duty cycle, now combine that with the Idle Air Control (what is normally used to allow a little air into the engine when the throttle butterfly is closed) is opened up.

So now you have raw fuel getting spat straight out the exhaust ports, no ignition, and some air getting let into the engine from the idle control. Add one hot exhaust manifold and turbo.. kabooom.. the air/fuel mixture lights up ... and continues popping and banging as uncontrolled combustion occurs. The energy from the gas expansion, as it's used to push the piston down normally pushes past the turbine keeping it spinning.

Now normally this really isn't that brutal because the idle air control can't supply enough air to make a truly effective bang (read big nasty WRC style anti-lag) so what they do is crack open the butterfly slightly to let more air in. Thus the engine never experiences vacumn.. great for anti-lag, sucks for brake boosters and clutch boosters (as they need vacumn) so what the rally guys do is attach some little vacumn generator which generates vacumn for the things that need it. This is the truly effective anti-lag system.. because clutch in on the start line at 4000 rpm or so you can generate quite a bit of positive boost.

The downside is that you have all these uncontrolled combustions which shock the turbine blades and rattle everything in the turbo/manifold area. Not cool.

(I think)

But then again with my Launch Control system I can generate almost .5bar boost at 5500rpm on the start line and if I had flat changing I wouldn't drop much boost on upshifts.. doesn't help downshifts and braking into corners.. thats where anti-lag is the absolute dogs nads. I'm taking some vids of the launch control etc this weekend.. infact i've got a couple already just can't figure out how to blank my plate out. With the TCS/LC system I get some of those big pops and bangs, because when TCS cuts in it effectively halves injector pulses as needed creating mixtures that won't lite up/produce any power... they come out the exhaust ports and give nice little crackles.. if you time it right in the 1st - 2nd shift or 2nd -3rd you get the nice woooompphss...

Rowan

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
DEMS ltd

Dino,
as i said the GEMS system is good there is no doubt about it but,
advances in management systems have increased 10 fold, i dont want to give too much away at the moment but anti lagg is an available function of my new generation ECUs as well as traction control ,and a host of other things but hey where do you stop, i want to get the thing on and running first before going into new relms but if your mate would be patient and wait it would be well worth his consideration as i have allready stated the functions are massive and all this leads to more fun.
I am working day and night at the moment to get this system ready
The beast is coming on leaps and bounds,any cheap gearboxes out there i need a few for development ?:smokin:
regards
Gary
GTART.co.uk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
rides page

Hi
Rowan,
sorry mate will do it this week end
thank you
regards
Gary

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ALS

Dino
forgot to tell you to tell your mate with the evo, the secret is how you control the engine, in control or not , i know which way i would do it
regards
Gary

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Thanks for all the explainations guys!! Now I know why we don't see more crackling turbo cars on the roads!!

AS for my mate ...he is even considering mapping the ECU himself with a laptop...which I told him is pretty foolish!!

gary....keep me informed on your new development....you can contact me in PM or by e-mail. Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts