GTR Forum banner

F Con Pro v Apexi PFC

• Total voters
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Never had any first hand experience with the F-Con. I think quite a lot of tuners (traders) prefer the F-Con because its more difficult for punters to mess about with the map and then blame the mapers when their car explodes!!

I've got Power FC on my stage 1 GTS-T and really happy with it. Top bit of kit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ive the power fc but considering the fcon pro when funds permit... just gotta see what the tag is on it for now
well i went ahead and got the HKS F-con pro v gold, and i have to say i am impressed with how smooth the map is on it, it could all be down to the mapping, but my tuner preferrs it as its a more detailed map than with the power fc, somthing to do with running on map sensors and bit rates etc...

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
well i went ahead and got the HKS F-con pro v gold, and i have to say i am impressed with how smooth the map is on it, it could all be down to the mapping, but my tuner preferrs it as its a more detailed map than with the power fc, somthing to do with running on map sensors and bit rates etc...
I have one of these on the Stagea

When I rebuilt the engine I asked what the difference would be and got the follwing replies

PFC
much easier to map ( and cheaper)
Has controller with readout
just plugs in so easy to install

F Con
The later F cons map to smaller increments so will always be better when mapped right.
Plus you can store more maps and a launch control ( however basic)

Because I was having a forged engine rebuild to around 600bhp cost obviously wasnt the main factor and as both would need mapping it was a very easy decision for me

In fact in the end I sold my PFC and Z32s (as didnt need them) and bought a used late F Con v pro gold with loom and map sensor and had enough money left to pay for the higher mapping costs

But if I had a stage one car - no contest Power FC for sure.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have one of these on the Stagea

When I rebuilt the engine I asked what the difference would be and got the follwing replies

PFC
much easier to map ( and cheaper)
Has controller with readout
just plugs in so easy to install

F Con
The later F cons map to smaller increments so will always be better when mapped right.
Plus you can store more maps and a launch control ( however basic)

Because I was having a forged engine rebuild to around 600bhp cost obviously wasnt the main factor and as both would need mapping it was a very easy decision for me

In fact in the end I sold my PFC and Z32s (as didnt need them) and bought a used late F Con v pro gold with loom and map sensor and had enough money left to pay for the higher mapping costs

But if I had a stage one car - no contest Power FC for sure.

Agreed. I also dumped my pfc and nismo afms for a v3.2 fcon vpro gold with a motec 3 bar map sensor kit.Much more advanced, allows for more detailed mapping with 32x32 resolution over apexis 20x20.Alot more control over the timing side of the map with the fcon..which in return gives a much torquier and more driveable car if the mapper knows how to take advantage of this.Also its 2 step launch function is a nice feature.
I also like the way it utilises the stock ecu to take control of the basics while the fcon itself focuses on controlling what makes the car faster..fuel and ignition control

Saying that i love the simpicity of the pfc. iv had them in 3 different cars in the past.great ecu but getting very dated now.a nice upgrade over a stock ecu in a car with light modifications

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have a pfc and it is easy to map with. smooth idle with map sensors. would have gone with the f-con, if the software for tuning was available to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have mapped both, PowerFC is decent and can do the job fine if you just want an ECU that controls fueling, timing and boost. HKS F-Con is an overall better ECU with more functions.

If you can find someone to map it and have the money, go HKS, otherwise PowerFC does the job well if on a tighter budget.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This argument is comparing 2 totally different things. Picking an ECU should be based on what you need it to do. This is like saying you need to get to work. Well, a civic could get you there, but so could a bentley.

If you want power over 500 or want to get more out of your mods, then apexi is probably the last option. It's extremely out dated and has poor mapping resolution, which means you're air/fuel ratio is going to be approximated because of poor resolution and the time delay in old computer technology. Any other standalone ecu will give you much more real-time information and be able to provide closer volumetric efficiency (VE) mappings, especially on a high resolution table.

If you want something still cheap, but will get you loads more out of your mods, i'd recommend the link g4 plug-in. Barely more expensive than the apexi, but competes neck and neck with the HKS all day long.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts