GTR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I suspect that road car engines are going in a different direction to F1 - unless you want to see hybrid diesel Ferraris

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The thing is that F1 is not suppose to have a budget... End Of!

Until F1 start looking like some Japan Anime with Rocket Booster... I don't think they should hold it back. :D

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thrust - that's fookin brilliant! Only a ffew minutes after the original post too:bowdown1:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Max apologies for going off thread.

This freezing business is unnatural. Keep F1 fresh!!! :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
Give the car back to the drivers in F1 would be a smarter move ,stick shifting,clutch etc ,it was supposed to be coming back . The cars in the 80's and early 90's were alot more powerfull than these modern ones by a long way and the drivers pulled more G .
A lot more powerful yes, but I disagree that they 'pulled more G'. F1 cars are faster round most circuits now than they were then, and they are less powerful, so must be braking and cornering better (i.e. pulling more G!).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
freeze on development of engines will have other areas that will gain. I'm not sure which direction they going though.

you will probably see more biofuels, focus on alternative energy sources eg. harnessing energy from braking to generate energy elsewhere, and other areas such as aerodynamics and tyres.

Rate of tyre developmnt has already exceeded the rate of development on the other 2 main areas on an f1 car - engine, and aerodynamics.

i think that this may not be as bad as ppl think it is. We will see development of a different kind. Let's face it, the toyota corolla of today is actually MORE HEAVY on fuel than the toyota corolla of 20 years ago. sure there's lots of safety add ons, etc. but development focus is far from ideal. we see far more fuel guzzlers in todays times than before.

my guess is there will be a much "greener" initiative. already last year we say Max Mosley talking about mandatory biofuel content in fuels from 2010.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
A lot more powerful yes, but I disagree that they 'pulled more G'. F1 cars are faster round most circuits now than they were then, and they are less powerful, so must be braking and cornering better (i.e. pulling more G!).

The cars are faster in a more controlled way (still would be unbelivebly quick to us that not driven one)the sheer grunt of the cars was much more and the power more brutal ,according to Mansell and Prost plus a few others from the time these cars do not wear you out the same as the ones from a few years ago and they do pull a bit more G .Of course they could just be getting old now and think that:D .Even so most drivers in F1 get out the cockpit at the end of the race and look like they have just pootled back from the shops .Senna was one of the fittest drivers around in the 90's and he even said once the drivers are on the verge of blacking out .Those long sweeping full speed bends in F1 have all but gone now ,so that has made a hell of a differance to the G forces too.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
long sweeping full speed bends in F1 have all but gone now ,so that has made a hell of a differance to the G forces too.
the cars themselves are capable of pulling more LATERAL G-forces today than the old cars ever were.

the average G-force exerted on the driver over an entire race in todays times may be less than what the driver was exposed to previously.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
And yet, Its engine devolpment in F1 that drives a lot of the advances in road cars, Making them both more powerfull and fuel efficient, This would be a bad step for everyone I think.
totaly agree, most types of motorsport are where ideas are formed tried and tested which filters down to production cars. Taking away development is ridiculous ! F1 is 'supposed' to be the pinnacle of motor vehicle design and technology.

·
Registered
204 Posts
only a matter of time before they start enforcing greeny regulations.. minimum fuel economy, alternate power sources etc..

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The FIA imposed a ban on ground effect aerodynamics in 1983. This was due to a driver having a black out in a corner due to high G isn't it?

I remember reading that somewhere that they have place a minimum ground clearance after that...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts