GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an exploded view of the VR38 motor, and noticed the intake plenum balance pipe. The presence of this pipe means that both sides of the motor draw from the same air source (or get force fed from the same source).

QED: The "balancing of the power output" on the optimisation service is nothing of the sort. It would seem that it is more likely to be ensuring that the two throttle body position sensors are almost aligned. The ECU would probably draw an average of the two anyway.

To me, this means that the Consult III is capable of range setting for each throttle body position sensor, and updates the ECU accordingly.

A waste of time and print? :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It seems to be a check for leaks with no routine adjustment according to the workflow. Even with a balance pipe you don't want a leak, and you don't want one turbo overspeeding to supply a leak raising the exhaust manifold pressure and temperature on just one bank.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thistle,

True enough, but that could be said of any force feeder and has nothing to do with it being a twin throttle setup.

To my mind, this reduces the optimisation service to:
1. Take up the new "slack" position for the dual clutches.
2. Check/Adjust wheel alignment.

Doesn't sound as grand as it did with the "power balancing" included? :)

My GTO twin turbo is a V6, with single throttle plate. Mitsubishi never had to "balance" that. :D

I reckon with a little more research, I can get this optimisation thing down to adjusting a couple of knuts (ooh err), and a decent wheel alignment.
(For when the 3 free optimisations are up).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Agree entirely. You can indeed do the throttle stuff just by looking at a DIY datalog. I hope as the TCM is cracked the clutch adjustments will be an end user adjustment too.

And an expert with a piece of wood and string could do a better alignment than some with all the tools and none of the skill.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the Euro cars have less pipes than US/JDM models going fromone back to the other
The balance pipe is still present. The additional pipework for US/JAP cars is for emission control, init?. California spec anything is strangled.

I'm just going about arming myself with the knowledge and know how for when I take responsibility for my car, after the warranty is up.

Just the gearbox adjustment left now. Does anyone know how?
My car is having its optimisation on the 7th November, and I will be taking part if I can wangle it. Hawk watching a rabbit could learn something from me :thumbsup:

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts