GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Has anyone else had the problem of their headlamps going a nasty yellow colour?
Is there any way of getting rid of it without the need to buy new lamps?

Cheers,

Adam

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Will be doing mine soon.
Actually spoke to someone about this over the weekend.
The headlights are sealed with glue.
If you remove the headlights and take all the metal clips off, put the unit in the oven at a low temp to soften the glue, then you can easily prise them apart. Clean the lenses with a good quality fine cutting compound (3M finish glaze or Mequiars swirl & scratch remover or similar) until perfectly clear and coat with a good protective resin polish after. Glue the lenses back together with some plastic glue....hey presto!!

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
If you just reheat them in the oven when finished, there is plenty of mastic on them and they should just reseal themselves - mine did when I did my conversion.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
matt j said:
If you just reheat them in the oven when finished, there is plenty of mastic on them and they should just reseal themselves - mine did when I did my conversion.
I thought about that, but didnt want to risk possibly baking the resin finish, but good idea.

Sounds a bit of a chore to me !!
Otherwise a good idea
Better than paying over £500 for new ones

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
most times given them a good t-cut will bring them up a treat - then resin polish.

you only need to seperate them if they are dirty on the inside or you have condensation issues.

Simon

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Simonh said:
you only need to seperate them if they are dirty on the inside or you have condensation issues.

Simon
Like mine. Gone all milky on the inside. Well, one of them anyway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant, thanks for the advice guys! Mine appear clean on the inside so will get them mopped at my local body shop :)

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
What i did on my last skyline was go to Halfrauds and get a bottle of plastic polisher. Works a treat, cleared them right up.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Faz Choudhury said:
What i did on my last skyline was go to Halfrauds and get a bottle of plastic polisher. Works a treat, cleared them right up.
I used similar stuff (plastic cleaner) over here on my brothers GTS and it worked pretty well....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Brasso works well also. was recomended and worked a treat.

even better you can then polish the family silver :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts