GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of RMA track days yesterday.
Weather forecast originally said it was going to be dry, but I was delighted to wake up to a steady drizzle of rain and arrived at a wet airfield.

There were a handful of R33 GT-Rs and a GTS-T and a few Evos to make it interesting.
Except of course nothing else could even vaguely keep up! Purple Zilla breezed to an easy indicated 174mph at the end of the straight leaving Vipers, SL55s and tuned Skylines behind like they were standing still (in the words of onlookers).

At first I thought the new EBC Yellow Stuff pads Sumo Power had supplied and fitted were disastrous as even pushing the pedal to the stop at the end of the straight seemed to have little effect, failing to even trigger the ABS!

However by the afternoon, enough pad material had transferred itself to the discs to bed them in thoroughly (never had the chance on the road) and they were great. No rumbles or juddering even for that 170+mph stop down to about 40mph for a very tight chicane.
Definitely a much better pad all round than the Ferodo DS2500s I had tried before and a worthwhile upgrade from the stock pads.

Of course where Purple Zilla was most fun was on the wet, slippery and bumpy corners. The Bridgestones are far more progressive and easy to read than the Dunlops, certainly when comparing part worn.

After the chicane there was a lovely 3rd gear off-camber right hander and with some judicious use of the throttle (and ESP Off obviously), the GT-R could be coaxed round in delicate power oversteer with just a smidgeon of oppo needed.

Elsewhere, tighter 2nd gear chicanes (marked out in the main just by cones), could be taken in a properly hooliganistic manner.
I also discovered that you can induce some lovely drifts by using the brakes as well as the throttle but it's all relatively easy to catch as long as there is enough room, which of course is the beauty of an airfield.

All in all, it was an incredible day with the R35 gathering new fans with every outing (and no doubt dismaying some of the more expensive track-biased car owners too).

Unfortunately despite spending the whole day sideways, the photographers failed to capture any spectacular "dab of oppo" moments, but I did like this one with the burnt-out hulk of a Chinook behind the car.

(courtesy of Fresh Orange Photography Limited)

I just don't want to look too closely at the state of my 3000 mile old Bridgestones today, although they did an admirable job and the wet weather saved them from total destruction.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Of course where Purple Zilla was most fun was on the wet, slippery and bumpy corners. The Bridgestones are far more progressive and easy to read than the Dunlops, certainly when comparing part worn

TOLD YOU !!!! lol

Nearly made that along with the "other" club, but had other priorities (she told me!)

Dave you should have let me know you were gonna be there and I may just have about managed a pass out to see you purple d*ldo

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Seems you go to the same web pages as me my friend LOL

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course where Purple Zilla was most fun was on the wet, slippery and bumpy corners. The Bridgestones are far more progressive and easy to read than the Dunlops, certainly when comparing part worn

TOLD YOU !!!! lol
The difference between you and me Steve, is that I only post about what I have personally experienced first hand. ;)

Make no mistake, the Dunlop is the grippier, faster, "better" tyre, especially when comparing new for new.

But the Bridgestone is cheaper and arguably more fun as it lets go easier. Some/most would view that as a disadvantage!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Great :(

This is 15 mins from my house - pity I didn't even know it was on! :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good time, your car looks amazing in the picture in your first post :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
err um, not necessarily so Mr Yu !! I have, as I am sure you have, over 15 years of Skyline ownership experienced a whole raft of experiences which we share with our fellow GTROC and others. Think I have been through most every tyre manufacturer and types of tyre from full wets to full on slicks and understand about tyres and tyre compounds etc. I have said a million times there was and is a reason for Mr Nissan fitting Bridgestone RE070's as the preferred tyre in Japan and now you are experiencing that!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bob, but I'm on a family holiday over that weekend.

EVO May 2010

Evo Journalist David Yu today announced ( in the true to the spirit of EVO towers) that he was indeed cancelling his family holiday so that he could attend a track day in Northern Ireland.
When asked about his decision his response was "No Contest"

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It took 5 hours to upload this 4 minute vid yesterday!
Watch in HD to get a better view of the MFD.

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
That Bl**dy Evo held you off Dave LOL

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, he was mighty quick on the twisties and the advantage I had on the big straight was partially negated by having virtually no braking whilst my new pads bedded in!

Got him in the end though, but he was probably the closest to me along with - would you believe it - a Ford Focus!
It was a full on race car though...

It would have been interesting pitting it against A BEUT on the straight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, he was mighty quick on the twisties and the advantage I had on the big straight was partially negated by having virtually no braking whilst my new pads bedded in!
Don't mind being flamed (it's my occupation), and not meaning to offend :popcorn: but IMHO, and with respect, if you weren't so Charley Big Potatoes, particularly in the corners, and used progressive throttle, and had ESP on being wet, you would have had him a lot sooner:D Bedding-in of pads noted, however not recommended on trackdays :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts