GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mycroft,

after your contribution to the octane booster thread and your obvious understanding of fuel related things, I was hoping you might turn your attention to the broquet catalyst, which some regard as snake oil, others swear by.

I have installed them in my car (metal pellets in a gauze in fuel tank) and have noticed improved fuel economy and smoother engine revving.

What do you think?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
This is actually from the OB thread but it has become a little cluttered recently, so it is understandable that you may have missed it, it appears on P12/13 but the pertinent post is copied below.

Good to 'hear' from you again matey.
--------->
I may be able to kill this quite quickly, whilst talking to one of the 'senior' lab guys here, (old people can be irritating but they have a vast knowledge base and SHOULD be respected for this)
anyway this coffindodger gave me the rundown on this stuff, the short answer is 'Don't bother'.

Fuller and very boring answer;

Broquet used to work, in fact it worked brilliantly, but that was when there was something called 'pool' petrol which was basically 70oct stuff with a CV that barely put it over paraffin, when the original Broquets were put in this they made the fuel a slightly higher octane and made this rather poorly refined fuel burn better, as the fuel quality went up after WW2 they became less and less effective (at one point petrol in this Country was so pish-poor that just stuffing Moth-balls in the tank helped the deflagration) it was reformulated later in the 60's but was never able to keep up and the general consensus is that the material is at best 'mostly harmless' at worst, 'worthless'

I shan't be wasting my time taking this any further.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Have you anything specific or is your statement an 'impression' of change?

Have you a composition sheet for the pellets?

If you have real data then I'll open the file on that again and happily take another look.

Knife and Fork ready, ketchup shaken, ready to eat humble pie if required ;-)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mycroft,

thanks for the quick reply.

Sadly I canot quantify what you ask for, but I could ask the man at broquet if he would be willing to release the details and possibly a sample, it may be easier given your access to the necessary expertise and equipment.

Being a hardened engine fan, and to a lesser extent an impreza fan, I often get caught up in these discussions on the impreza board.

It has been discussed at length and to soem extent tested by a resident "respected" mapper by the name of bob rawle. He has found that he has been able to increase ignition advance by 2 to 3 degrees, for whatever reason, this does come across as an advantage, even with todays fuel.

I cant say I noticed this, but tank on tank was getting an extra range of 15 miles, when at teh time the 22B was consistent, and my drivign style apparently unwavered.

I was also putting in the same amount of fuel each time.

Arguably it was a placebo effect.

I will link this page from the subaru page in the hope that one of the mappers might comment, and also david lock, the manufacturer and supplier.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Got the PMs' and will do as you ask and will test them probably just prior to Xmas, sorry can't do it sooner but work is very inyense at the moment.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this discussion is kicking off with the subaru people (again).

Your testing will be of real value.

pete Croney said to send him your address and you can have them whenever you like.

Best to dot hat bit soon, before he forgets who you are, then you can test them at your leisure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts