GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New Here. GTR Tech/Tuning questions if i may...

Hiya,

Im very soon about to buy a Skyline (well, after TenOfTheBest, what choice have i got? If u cant beat em, join em! lol).

But firstly i have to decide which model- im drawn towards the R32 but the ATESSA system was uptated thru the years, are the later versions noticably better (will they give a big advantage when doing full bore standing starts in a 500+bhp car?)?

If they are much better, can R32s be upgraded to the later spec ATESSA at a reasonable cost?

The RB26 engine itself didnt vary at all through the R32/33/34 models right?

The turbos/Intercoolers did, but they will be changed anyway so no matter.

Is the engine managment more sophisticated in later models? (Not better mapping, i mean a different, uprated ECU)

Apart from the clutch (which on all big power modded cars will need to be uprated), how does rest of the std transmission stand up to big power and full on launches? (i understand the silver R32 at T.O.T.B. had a std transmission?) You got the gearbox, and front, centre, and rear diffs right? Or is there more in the transmission due to the ATESSA system (which i dont fully understand, does it work by a computer controlled secondary clutch in the centre diff which varies the power to the front wheels? If so, i guess this clutch also breaks yea?)? Like i said- HELP! Need tech info asap!

Also, what kind of power is achivable with a std bottom end? (with obv cams, headwork, bigger turbo (s), intercooler etc etc)

On the BIG power engines- 600/700+bhp examples, what compression ratio do they run?

And also, does anybody use an aftermarket stand alone engine managment, like a MOTEC system etc, as i only ever see people running F-CON V and APEXi setups etc where u still have the airflow meters in use, and id of thought (as on most cars), the airflow meters are a restriction if anything.

Also, is there anywhere where i can read a DETAILED tech spec on the 2mental Abbey Skylines at T.O.T.B?

I was most impressed by the way the Skylines launched, none of the other 4wd cars (and obv not the RWDs) was anywhere near as fast off the mark, even if a car was as fast once rolling, a skyline would be about a mile ahead due the the incredible ATESSA system!

My current car is completley stripped and 420bhp so id say its 400bhp per tonne at least, so id want same/more bhp/ton in a skyline, which isnt so easy as they weigh, well, lots, so as much help as people can give me, ill be happy to have.

Thanks in advance for all my questions, but i need them answered as i MUST have a big power skyline, the 2 Abbey Skylines have completley changed my opinions on cars- 420bhp and RWD is not enough for me now...

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Steve,

Have you contacted Abbey? ot sure they'll let you in to all of their secrets but they may be able to give you some general hints and tips. I've always found them very helpful.

John

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hi Steve

You really need to speak with a tuner, in person rather than on the telephone/email, regarding those questions and what you require.

You may also have to travel a fair way, as you are in Cheltenham, but I assure you face to face is the best way :) .

The spec on my car is freely available if you speak with Mark or Tony in person :) .

See ya.

glen

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ATESSA?

Ok, i jus didnt even think of asking Abbey as in my experience, tuners go "itsa secret" or "give me 50grand and ill build u one".

What about the "what breaks in the transmission" and "is the ATESSA system noticably better in later skylines" questions then.

Any ideas lads? Thanks.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Bits

What breaks in tranmissions:

Clutch at 400bhp
R34 Gearbox at 500bhp, R33/2 Gearbox at 600bhp
Rear diffs at 600+bhp if drag-raced

Above are approximates and will vary according to driving style, but might be a good guide.

Guy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bar the clutch, the transmission on Ronnie's car is standard Steve (Glen's too I believe): Standard 'box, diffs, drive shafts etc. The Skyline transmission can handle a lot of torque.

AFAIK the Attesa system on the R32 and R33 (non-vspecs) is the same. The R32 V-Spec has a 'revised' Attesa system and the R33 V Spec has the Attesa Pro system (10x faster than the normal one). For the R34 both the standard and pro Attesa systems were revised.

It's all in the tech section of this site.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Maybe cossie tuners are like that :)D) but you'll find that all of the GTR tuners are very helpful chaps!

Some engine components did vary through the years. I know pistons and conrods are stronger in the R34...but the basic engines remains the same. The first run of R32 GTRs used the N1 block, but I think after 1000 cars they started using the one we now call "standard" block. R32s had a single coil ignition system, while R33s & 34s have 6 separate coils. Turbos have changed, as have cams for better torque responce.
I'm not sure about the ATTESA system. GTRs got the ATTESA-ETS while v-specs and v-specs 2(only for the 32 & 34) got the faster acting ATTESA-ETS PRO systems. I'm sure someone like Shin can tell you if some modifications were made during the strech from R32 to 34...

Standard 'boxes are very tough in general, but only up to a certain limit. There are stronger replacement parts for the 5 speed box in the 32s & 33s, all the way up to a dog box or Hollinger sequential. It all depends on the power you are talking about...

Lots of GTR owners in Australia use MoTec ECUs.
AFM are not a necessity....HKS does a AFM-less sytem to run with their F-Con V/Pro ECUs

Since you seem to be interested in 1/4 mile setups, you should keep in mind that the basis for the fastest drag cars in Japan use non-V-spec GTRs. Basically the Skyline GTR is one of the best basis for a drag car. As with most things it all depends on money....just look at what Mario managed to achieve down in Oz!!(http://www.exvitermini.com) As he says "How fast can you afford to go?";)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gearboxes

Simon,

True they are standard, but Ronnie is on his 3rd or 4th standard gearbox and Glen is running an R33 gearbox, after his R34 gearbox broke and cannot be repaired (no parts are available).

Dirk has also broken his R34 gearbox and Henry has broken at least one R33 gearbox, as has Gary.

Guy

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Superb, thanks!

Great info everyone, cheers.

Yea, im mainly interested in straight line speed (standing start and rolling).

I knew from the tech section about the v-spec's haveing better ATESSA system, i was just wondering if there was a NOTICABLE advantage of having the much faster ATESSA sytem for straight line racing (it seems not as it was mentioned that in japan they use mainly non v.spec skylines for drag racing).

Thanks again

Steve

3,663 Posts
Steve,

give me a ring and I will answer all your questions!
On the spec off the engines , all my cars have different
engine spec,s . I agree some off the parts and specs in
glens and ronnies car I will not divulge as they have taken a
long time to find but I will be straight with you.
Youi can buy all the stuff over the shelf that you see on my
customer cars.
On the engine management front yes you can run motec etc
but I find the power FC very good as you saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my engine I am building for my R32 will use 12 injectors run
with Motec ECU.

Give me a ring

01883 732 331

Mark

ABBEY MOTORSPORT BUILDERS OF THE 2 FASTEST

SKYLINES AT THE TEN OF THE BEST.

3,663 Posts
R32

Tigger,

I have actually brought another R32 to put the big engine in
I do not want to spoil my very rare R32 V-SPEC.

Mark

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
The ATTESA really comes into play while cornering. For drag racing you are better off with a mech LSD as the active LSD starts to shuffle torque left and right causing the rear end to shake....

3,663 Posts
R32 V-SPEC

Tig,

no but I am looking for a R34 to make a set.

Mark

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
ADMIN

THREAD ADMIN

I've just merged the thread with Mark's answer onto the thread with the original question, in case any of you noticed the changes.

Guy

GTR Moderator

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I think there will be alot of people enquiring about skylines over the coming weeks/months.

It's quite obvious that you guys made a massive impression, and alot of the 2 litre boys will be thinking "sod this, i have to spend xx thousands to get 400bhp, when in a skyline it's about 3k".

I admit to being one of them - i've been thinking about getting a 32 or a 33 for a long time now - more so since the hickstead show.

Quite clearly a few people have already decided that they are definately going to make the change....i'm still very much undecided......love the cars, just don't know if my driving style suits the car.

Alternatively, Mark - you could just lend me one of yours !!!! :D :D

Daz

1 - 20 of 45 Posts