GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Can I ask how many of you really enjoy this whole top speed thing?

the second I climb over 100mph I fear for my license.

On top of that the only sensation of speed you get is by how fast the other cars are streaming backwards.

For me acceleration is much more entertaining.

Coupled with the fact that high revs and high load are moer likely to kill an engine than anything else, is it really worth it?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Speed

Acceleration is more fun I agree, but at much higher speeds (160mph-200mph) there is still a thrill of simply attaining it, although this is generally done very rarely (best in germany where legal).

It also depends on the cars power and brakes. A stock GTR (if there is such a thing) will take some distance to reach 150mph. A highly tuned one will hit that speed in a very short distance and brake back to 80mph or thereabouts quickly and safely, road conditions permitting.

Not of course that we condone exceeding the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'd agree at 130-160mph the skyline is amazingly stable! I've never gone much further than that though @ 160mph my car is pulling very strongly (with only limited modifications!) and my worry isn't stability but that I can't react fast enough...

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Guy,
Doesn't the 320mph speedo make driving around A and B roads a bit of a nightmare? Staying just below the speed limits for the cameras etc?

John

·
Registered
492 Posts
Fastest of all!!!

I've buggered around with the guts of my GTR so much now that my Speedo doesn’t actually work to any degree of accuracy any more and I have to rely on my portable hand held Anemometer that I hang out of the window. I’ve had readings of 250mph, but I was travelling into quite a steady headwind…

Rupert

·
Registered
167 Posts
The problem with High speeds on the roads it not that reaction times are too slow or we don't have the space to break. We all have the same reaction time.

It's the people who do not realise how fast you are coming up behind them, they do not have any comprahension of the closing speed. They look in their mirrors (If ya lucky) and they see you about 1/2 mile away and don't check again just pull out. By which time if your motoring you've closed that distance to 100 Yards and have to try and stop..

You have always got to think on UK roads about other people not seeing you or gauging your speed correclty.

But I love speed and acceleration.. :D Wouldn't be without it.. (Should read couldn't be without it..:D )

Malc

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
its rare that i bother pushing it over any limits these days,and if I do its somewhere I know and out of the way with no one else around, and even then its for a flitting moment. nothing more.

Ive seen far too many accidents and things relating to speed as I used to own a Motorbike. People just assume you are doing the speed limit, as stated before, its not safe.

There are too many cars on the road, my comment would be if you want to do it , do it on a track or another country.

Put your own life at risk thats fine, just dont put others at risk because of a heavy right foot.

I had a friend die from an accident with a speeding car once, so please understand my gripe.
:smokin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The aerodynamic factor!

I remember when I was a lad reading an article on the BBA Sierra Cosworth I think. And it was talking about when the Sapphire hits 176 or so, it hit a 'wall' of big resistance of air etc and it would not be a case of putting in more power to the engine.

It would more be a case of sorting out the air flow around the body at that speed by some means.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nav

:) what happened to Le Mans tickets.

Cem Shelly is the friend at Scan I was talking of I will speak to you soon :)

SJD

Adam

I agree a little with the speed thing. But high speed in a scoob is way different to a Skyline :)

SJD

21 - 40 of 97 Posts