GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello skyline-owners.

I'm Travis from Singapore which is in Asia. I recently got my license about 16 months ago and I am working towards getting my first car. Cars in my country are pretty expensive due to the roughly 300% govt taxes thus it might take a while. [1st hand GTR-35 is about $260,000 here]

Anyways, on to the main point. I have loved skyline R32s and R34s since the early 2000s but alas now the car is about 10 odd years old. Friends and fellow car owners keep telling me that it is NOT worth getting such an old car as the parts would be wearing off and the previous owners would have whored the car out already and are selling it off because its breaking down. As such I have been looking for a skyline community and this is the website I found so I joined after reading a few threads and seen what a helpful and close-knit bunch of people you all are.

I hope you will all help me out with my questions, knowledge seeking and ultimate ownership journey.

Needless to say, I have quite the book of questions to ask (i hardly know about cars and parts and modifications other than Need For Speed series stuff) but I will start with the main questions in mind.

1. Is it worth it getting a 10 year R34/2 be it GTT or GTR?
2. What should I know about the car to see if it fit for a purchase or to give a pass?
3. What immediate maintenance should be done and roughly what kind of maintenance would be required to keep the car running smoothly?

I dont plan to do any performance mods seeing as their illegal here, so perhaps take that in mind when answering the questions ^^;

Glad to have found this place and hope my fellow skyline brethren would help me out in my quest to own my own GTR34 within a year from now.

[1999/2000 GTR/T 34/2 is roughtly $70,000]

Btw, did I mention im only 22?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I can't really help with many indepth questions but all I can say is a recommend you read thepinned FAQ before posting any topics as it has more than likely been asked before and in the FAQ and the response to such a topic will be "Read the FAQ" so just thought i'd give you a head start :) Good luck.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
What, you dont like r33's?! Each to there own....

Im unaware as to the laws in Signapore, but if its anything like england, tax, insurance, servcing/maintenance costs you would be better of with a r34 gtt, or if your really hard up a r2gtst (but only if you are desperate). I would suggest looking for a low mileage/full service history example just for added security.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not that I do not like R33s, i just haven't seen any for sale. Most of the skylines I have seen around here (about 6 different ones) are either R32s or R34s, tho more R32s.

Taxes, insurance etc will be secondary as I first still want to know if a 10 year old skyline is worth getting based on personal experience from the owners in this forum. I dont know anyone who has a skyline in Singapore, so I only get the general common sense reply that its not worth it because of the age.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have a 15 yr old R33 in the UK which is in pretty good nick. I've spent some money on it having it tuned, but the car does not really show its age. (Whacked in a couple of front bushes which were shagged.) Maybe I have been lucky.

My R34 in Japan is ten years old this year. Most of the time it has been off the road having this or that modification, so it really has not been either used much or abused. It looks brand new inside the cabin. None of the 'normal' factory car has caused me any grief that I can recall. Perhaps again I have been lucky.

Just avoid shoddy-looking examples (tell-tale signs as with any car) and the rest should be fairly normal servicing costs. Well, it depends also upon what your job is, and what cash you have saved, and whether you have a g/f who sucks up all your spare cash...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts