GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, all you boys who complain about Brake Fade. Got a plan that doesn't entail getting the biggest largest most expensive calipers you can find.

I'm going to try these out on our local circuit in 6weeks time. I had a good long chat to arguably the guys in NewZealand for race brakes. They supply to most of the teams in NZ. After a long chat about going for big brakes in my TTZ they said, try some of these pads on new sport rotors with ultra high temp fluid and let us know if you *manage* to outbrake them. These are the same as used on WRC rally cars - the Ford Focus team use them on both tarmac and gravel I believe. On gravel stages they use them with 310mm discs on 4 pots, and on tarmac 360mm discs with 8 pots (fek!) .. on the circuit you aren't generating san-remo esque brake needs so I don't think I need the 360mm discs..

The downside is they are not really for use on the road and they are not easy on discs, but when you compare the price to a full AP 6pot setup it's very very very cheap.

I've got a link of a good independent write up of the DS3000's (I'll have to dig it up), reading it I was like yeah baby... If this means anything to anyone the DS11's which were the previous goods from Ferodo used in rallys etc had a mu value of 0.45 the DS3000's are 0.60 (or .65 not sure) and don't drop off till the pads get to 750degC ... unlike normal pads which give up the ghost and the mu does a skydive.

Combine that with high temp brake fluid and stainless lines if you haven't already got some and see what happens. I know I'm going to give it a shot!

Rowan

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I remember reading somewhere here that some people have already tried these. They are perfect for trckday use buy are very noisy and not exactly perfect for everyday use.

....killer dust too....eats through your alloys:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fully understood they're not for road use.. you just have to hear any of the Touring Cars/WRC cars come into pits/service to hear the huge squeals. Am going to use Mintex 1144's for the road.

Dust... get out the hose and wash it off :p geez simple solutions !!!

Bring on those track days .. summer here in NZ. Time for the track. My clubsport license is in the mail...yeaahhhaaa...

Rowan

·
Banned
349 Posts
Hi Rowan,

I use ds3000 all the time on road and track. They are very good.

They need warming up in the morning by dragging them for a bit, they do silt up the wheels big time (so you'll need the hose every day literally).

They can withstand 1000 c and will not fade much but all this is at the cost of the standard Brembo Discs. You will go through discs and I mean go through!

So at £120 for the pads and £1000 for new discs every 15,000 miles you may as well replace the brakes with an AP Kit after you have trashed the current Brembo's with your new ds3000's.

That said the ds3000 are a good compromise - you need to run them in very gently to avoid massive squeeking.

Jamie.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a Z with small rotors they thankfully only cost roughly $500NZD to replace (170UK) so it's a real no-brainer for me ! If I'm chucking rotors out even at worst 1:1 with pads I don't mind. I'm not a nutter on the road so I'll be running Mintex 1144's on the road, much gentler..

When you upgrade to AP's send yer Brembos down this way theres a Z that could use them !

Cheers then,
Rowan

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also use ds3000's and they are, even if very noisy, one of the best pads i have used. But even fitting AP's isn't going to protect you from the pads eating discs. I'm now on my third set of discs this year!!.....I warped them at the ring last weekend. I'm going to try the floating discs this time, see if that helps any.

Jon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Guy,

You know, I never thought of that :) Yeh, I know i drive a little fast but that's what the car's for isn't it :)
It's highly unlikely that'll i'll make the dyno day. My car's still in Germany somewhere. Engine problem reared it's ugly head whilst on a fast lap of the ring. I'm hoping it's just a bearing but i'm bracing myself for the worst, i.e crank. Will let you know when i get the car back in Blighty.
I clocked about 205mph on the Belgium motorway but it was a bit bumpy, had a scary moment when i hit a pot hole so eased off. I think there was about another 5mph there.

Jamie,

I've warped two sets of AP discs and cracked another set.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Guy,

Neither, I worked it out from the revs. 8750 rpm with my gearbox and wheel/tyre combo equals 205mph.

It definitely was, especially for the guy in the back :)

They sure do, don't know what else to do now. I fitted the HKS 2.8 kit to protect against things like this and it still went!! So much for steel internals eh! :-o

Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts