GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a beautiful looking GTR from IanC but as any car, there's always gonna be a few niggles, or questions with it, so bear with me, I'm new to the Skyline (or even the turbo) world, having come from owning a very simple TVR!

First of all, the gearbox is a little whiney in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Fine in 4th and 5th. I knew this when I bought the motor, so not really an issue, if it's on it's way out then fair enough, but just curious if they're normally whiney, or if a rebuild is on the cards, and if so, how soon, and how much? Have to give a little blip on the throttle to get it in gear sometimes (syncro-mesh?), more so with the lower gears.

Next, how whistley are the turbos normally? The boost controller reports normal pressure (0.7 normal driving on one setting, 1.0 when I set it higher), and the car is definitely rapid enough, but is a lower pitched whistle normal as you creep towards the 3.5k revs?

Cheers guys

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Great car Dan, I saw Ian's up for sale and it looked an excellent example.

Can't comment on the turbos but the gearbox on my R33 is very nosiy in 1st and 2nd, a little less in 3rd and quiet 4th and 5th as well. Mine has been strpped and rebuilt with cryogenically treated gear set and the OS Giken strengthening plate - I assumed that one or more of these upgrades may have contributed a little to the noise. Alternatively i wondered if it could be the clutch.

Either way, watch a few R33's go up the strip - all of them seem to have the telltale gear whine from the outside as far as I can tell so i wouldn't worry too much!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would imagine it's nothing problematic. My gearbox is dead quiet though, but it's standard so. Ask IanC if there has been any work done to it, that may answer your question.

I'd also check to see if the gearbox oil has been changed recently.
If not, it may just be worth giving the oilman a shout and giving that a go, might sort that slight glitchy gear change you are talking about. I have a load of lovely gearbox oil waiting to go in mine I bought off him :thumbsup:

Oh, welcome to the forum and good luck with your new motor mate! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts