GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I don't get flamed too much but I do have a few questions after a full month of awesome GTR ownership :D Keep in mind this is the most powerful car I have ever owned thus far...

1) I mostly drive urban journeys but I noticed the car's steering is very lively. It sometimes tend to wonder a little bit especially over rough and uneven surfaces. Nothing to severe but does tend to wake you up :) Is this normal?

2) Also noticed the "dinner plate" rattling especially when cold from the transmission/diff. No warning lights whatsoever so I presume this is also something normal? If I drive the car hard the noise tends to be less

3)There's buzzing in the interior which I've narrowed down to somewhere near the gearstick, driver's side A/C vent and occasionally somewhere behind the driver's seat belt "guide". Does anyone experience buzzing too?

4) How do you reset the MPG and MPH numbers shown in the DIS on the instrument cluster? I can reset everything else but can't seem to reset that?

5) Sometimes in Auto mode when pulling out from junction in 1st gently, the car is a bit jerky. The revs seems to bound up and down a little. Is this normal?

6) For huge brakes like the ones on the GTR they feel a bit soft compared to those on my Evo. Do not get me wrong, they still stop the car well but it needs a bit of work. Is this also normal or an indication that my pads are due? I have receipt from HPC saying brakes are 60%/50% around 2 months ago. I haven't driven far since.

Those are all my questions for now. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on these issues :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
1) I mostly drive urban journeys but I noticed the car's steering is very lively. It sometimes tend to wonder a little bit especially over rough and uneven surfaces. Nothing to severe but does tend to wake you up :) Is this normal?
It happens to mine too, only now and again though.

2) Also noticed the "dinner plate" rattling especially when cold from the transmission/diff. No warning lights whatsoever so I presume this is also something normal? If I drive the car hard the noise tends to be less
Rattling from underside of the car is normal to an extent. There is loads of threads about this explaining what it exactly is. If it is a certain kind of rattle it may be the "flywheel housing" problem. I got paranoid at first, but its all normal. The noise should be less in "drive" and slightly more in neutral or drive

3)There's buzzing in the interior which I've narrowed down to somewhere near the gearstick, driver's side A/C vent and occasionally somewhere behind the driver's seat belt "guide". Does anyone experience buzzing too?
I have never heard any noise there but have read of other people having it aswell as other rattling and buzzing noises from various places.

4) How do you reset the MPG and MPH numbers shown in the DIS on the instrument cluster? I can reset everything else but can't seem to reset that?
On the right side of the instruments there are two buttons, when you are on the MPG screen hold down the button with the dot on it and it will reset.

5) Sometimes in Auto mode when pulling out from junction in 1st gently, the car is a bit jerky. The revs seems to bound up and down a little. Is this normal?
This again is very normal and apparently is significantly improved with the gearbox software upgrades which I am looking forward to getting soon.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Rattling probably rear pad springs....easy to swap to newer my11 versions. Failing that rattle likely to be prop shaft...if you get vibration then could be bell housing.

Whine/buzz might be the fuel pumps....whip the back seats out and you can hear them. Also worth padding the covers out as they can rattle.

Jerky can be solved with changes on the touch point settings if you have AP Nis06...hpc or Litchfields can also adjust. My11 gb software makes a big difference to the take off.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for answering without flaming lol :D Regarding bell housing I doubt that's the problem as it was just done before I purchase car. I think it could be the expected noise...
I guess I am the only one with interior buzzing/rattling then :( Sounds like trim vibrating but can't really pin point exactly where.

I guess I am spoilt by Audi ownership where the interior is always spot on and silent.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Could well be the fuel pump covers...they are plastic onto metal and mine rattled...bit of foam and sorted. 2 minute job.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could well be the fuel pump covers...they are plastic onto metal and mine rattled...bit of foam and sorted. 2 minute job.
If you are referring to the interior buzzing/rattling I am pretty sure its something to do with the trims.

Googled hard to find a guide to rectifying this but not much help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are referring to the interior buzzing/rattling I am pretty sure its something to do with the trims.
I had a buzzing sound in my car but not around the area where you described.
At first I could not distinguish where it was coming from, eventually I found it after listening carefully everywhere.

My noise was from the back shelf, the furtherest part of the shelf was vibrating against the rear window. I placed a small object there and it is perfect now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Many newly replaced bell-housing's still rattle, some as bad or even worse than before. Mine is one of them.

The wandering about on uneven roads is mainly from the hard sidewalls on run-flat tyres, compounded by being such low profile and will be worse when cold. If your tread is low, it will also take longer to warm up, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hopefully I don't get flamed too much but I do have a few questions after a full month of awesome GTR ownership :D Keep in mind this is the most powerful car I have ever owned thus far...

Not noticed that with mine but it does tram line sometimes!

Yep very normal, its because of the carbon prop shaft and tolerances of the bearings.

I would get that checked by a HPC.

Its in the setting menu.

Yeah mine did that but since I put the New gearbox software on it and a clutch relearn it's night and day difference! Well worth it!

6) For huge brakes like the ones on the GTR they feel a bit soft compared to those on my Evo. Do not get me wrong, they still stop the car well but it needs a bit of work. Is this also normal or an indication that my pads are due? I have receipt from HPC saying brakes are 60%/50% around 2 months ago. I haven't driven far since.
What pads are you running?

Those are all my questions for now. Hopefully someone can enlighten me on these issues :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts