GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annual standing mile "contest" up in Suffolk on Sunday 16th August: Fighting Torque 2009

Bit of a schlep for me, but could be fun humiliating some expensive exotica (unless some Veyrons turn up!)...

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Yeah, mite do Dave Are you going ?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have to go to a family wedding anniversary party on Sat 15th so will be in the area, it's suddenly looking like I might not mind going so much lol! S now how can I approach this.... lol!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Last years winner was an Ultima 176mph and 24.67 seconds there were a few of us quicker than that at RAF Marham earlier this year

No NOS allowed, cars must be taxed motd insured and tuned cars must be capable of normal road use is the spirit of the event.

I quite fancy this, especially as I'm not quite ready for Bruntingthorpe this weekend, but think we might upset a few people... could be fun!

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Oh We WILL

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
1. Steve (+ one of the BEUT's)
3. Blue34

·
Registered
480 Posts
Now that Sounds like good fun alrite... Im on the wrong bloody Island, that little streatch of water between us doubles the price of everything id love to attend in the UK with my GTR....:bawling:

Dam carrot crunch...!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
David, Steve, I've sent an e-mail to the organisers re: their position regarding the more modified cars as some discussion has already gone on previously and I now understand more about the nature of the event being for standard or lightly modified cars.

This is obviously not related to your entries with your 35s as standard cars as you'll be eleigible to enter anyway. So please don't take this as a thread hijack - I'm just keen to join you guys along with some other members if possible, so any help is appreciated.

The organisers have suggested it may be possible to have a GTROC "class" of a minimum of 6 cars to allow the more heavily modified GTRs to run on the day this will then not affect the spirit of the event overall as being primarily for standard or lightly modified cars.

I'm not however keen on us having to run in "exclusion" but if we could perhaps run within the event overall, have our times recorded but not counting in terms of winning entries this would then still allow head to head racing with other car owners. IF they so wished and make for a really great day!

I hope to have some further info shortly please watch this space.

1. Steve (+ one of the BEUT's)
3. Blue34

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah obviously if I went it would be in the lightly modded class. I won't bother if I am only going to be running against mega-Skylines!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
OK, I've spoken to the organisers and the official line is we are welcome and that includes highly modified road cars even road race cars like tweenie with a few provisos, I've been nominated to run the entries past the organisors on behalf of the club but after a long conversation just now I don't see any issues regarding our entries.

I'll try and explain, the "spirit" of the event. It's for like minded owners of standard and modified cars including exotica such as Ferraris, Vipers, Lambos, Ultima, faster BMWs and GTRs etc.. to run together and compare performance in a safe secure setting. The event might even have a few promo girls, some tuner entries and there are spectators. But spectators are friends and guests rather than entry paying punters and not in large numbers perhaps one or two hundred people spectating.

There are heavily modded cars runnin, some Porsches for example will be running up to 700bhp. Am I painting a picture?

It's not all about stripped out dedicated drag racers, but some of the Vipers are stickered up and like I say there'll be some Tuner entries too. So while "road race" cars are not the main focus of the event, this is so that the event remains attractive to fast road car and exotica drivers.

That's not to say that highly modded GTRs aren't welcome, so long as they can be driven there and are MOT'd and Txed and Insured. After describing my car I for example can enter as a standar entrant.

Where it will vary for for heavily modded and stripped out cars is the times and speeds may only count in our own class rather than overall, again in the spirit of the event, but I don't see that as a problem we still get the timings.

GTR's including highly modified GTRs will still run alongside the other competitors throughout the day and we can "match" ourselves in pairs with each other or any other driver who fancies a run with us. All this is catered for in the existing rules.

So basically so long as we don't annoy the neighbours, don't go there to "notch-up" supercar scalps and take the p.. then we can pretty much bring along any road legal car, eg Tweenie, Shaggy etc..

This is all correct as of tonights conversation with the event organiser so bottom line is get your name down now if you would like to attend. Cost is £99.00 to the organisers.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah obviously if I went it would be in the lightly modded class. I won't bother if I am only going to be running against mega-Skylines!
David, not so. Your GTR will run alongside Lambos, Porsches, Vipers etc... some of them may be modded you wouldn't have to run alongside anyone you didn't want to. Go compete in the 35.

If we were lucky enough to have any "mega" power road race Skylines there they probably won't count in the points other than in our own class but the good news is they can come along and you can have a go alongside one if you wished.

I don't see any down-side to this event now.

Malc

GTROC Straightline Coordinator (hat on)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The organisers say they aim to give everyone at least five official timed runs, and possibly some untimed practice runs. The Stagea RS4 vs. exotica should be fun.

Speed wise up to around 200, 210 is ok :smokin

The runway at Woodbridge is 3 times wider and longer than most runways, it was originally designed as an emergency landing strip for aircraft low on fuel or with damage and was a US base during the Cold War. It's still an army base so we would need to get our list of names together prior to the event to let them know who is coming.

Here's the plan:

Anyone who fancies this event put your name on the list, and add a photo of your car.

Then send me your full name and address by PM. I'll get all our entries pre-approved with the organisers and I'll add "approved" and then "confirmed" once paid. All payments will made direct for our first year.

Giles let me know if you fancy this, I had a quick chat with Tweenie too so he's a possible. I understand noise on the day is in fact more of an issue on arrival and departure through the local residences. That's where we'd need to keep a bit of a low profile like no ticking over racecars outside someones house when we get lost lol! that type of thing.

Let me worry about getting the individual entries approved - just get your names down.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
<strong>Official Video Fighting Torque 2008</strong>
<p align="center">
<param value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/299Z1tf8m2A&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" name="movie">
</param>
<param value="true" name="allowFullScreen">
</param>
<param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess">
</param>
</p>
<p align="center">
<embed allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="500" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/299Z1tf8m2A&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></embed>  

I'm posting this as GTROC Straightline Coordinator in order to help our members decide if they want to attend - GTROC is not connected to this event. It just looks like a good day out!

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts