GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

sorry if this has Been ask or discussed Befor.

Just wondering how people are buying their GTR.
With most of my previous cars, Ive paid cash, so no interest.
but with my current car, I went with HP, so paid a very large deposit and finance the rest (paid off now) the only reason why I finance the car was because the salesman offered me 2 years free servicing and couple bits thrown in.

I’ve not had much experience in HP, PCP, Lease or bank loans.
So let’s say I go with Nissan finance package, I would be paying just under 10k in interest, and a large sum at the end of the agreement and that’s not something I want to do.

My initial idea was to paid cash and not worry about any finance, but having spoken to a few people, they suggested I’m probably better off with some sort of finance package, they also suggest not to get the GTR and used the money for a “better” car and finances the rest, but that’s a different story 🤦🏻‍♂️

Tbh Im the kinda of person that changes car every 5-6 year and don’t intend on keeping the GTR for any longer than maybe 6-7 years, but like with my current car, I also never intended on keeping it but my girlfriend wanted it so, it’s technically it sold.

Taking everything in consideration, any suggestions? And how did you paid your GTR?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its all about personal preference and what you want to do and id say you will have a varied response on this. I myself paid outright as id hate to pay that amount of interest and monthly repayments. Then again not everyone is in the same financial situation. My opinion is if you want something save for it.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I always pay outright for my cars and I keep them long enough that the depreciation cost is acceptable (not like I can change that aspect anyway, as its all about market values). I wouldn't use dealer finance if I was looking at financing though, APR rates are too high, you normally end up paying RRP or higher for the purchase price than in cash and no "freebies" ever make up for the extra cost. If you were a business putting the car through that then I can see an argument for leasing etc - all assets depreciate. But a private buyer? No.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always pay outright for my cars and I keep them long enough that the depreciation cost is acceptable (not like I can change that aspect anyway, as its all about market values). I wouldn't use dealer finance if I was looking at financing though, APR rates are too high, you normally end up paying RRP or higher for the purchase price than in cash and no "freebies" ever make up for the extra cost. If you were a business putting the car through that then I can see an argument for leasing etc - all assets depreciate. But a private buyer? No.
I intend on paying outright, I don’t really like the finance side Of things... paying extra for no reason.
The cost of the car is already ready, I don’t have the problem with that, just really outta curiosity what most people use to get their car.

as my GF is taking my car, I have hers as a PX, I know most salesman will push for finance As I believe they probably get some commission, so not expecting any discount if I buy cash, I’m not good at negotiating so expecting to pay the RRP

·
Super Moderator
15,693 Posts
If you take out the finance, you could still access all the deals they are offering as an incentive, and simply pay the car off after a month anyway. I've done exactly that quite recently, if I'd bought our Golf GTE outright they wouldn't have given me the 2 years free servicing I got with the finance package....they can't withdraw it if you decide to pay it off early.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you take out the finance, you could still access all the deals they are offering as an incentive, and simply pay the car off after a month anyway. I've done exactly that quite recently, if I'd bought our Golf GTE outright they wouldn't have given me the 2 years free servicing I got with the finance package....they can't withdraw it if you decide to pay it off early.
never thought about that😊...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cash is King!

Bobby

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you take finance, I think you get insurance, should you end up with a lemon of a car. Similar to when you make a purchase on a credit card.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just make sure there isn't a clause forcing you to pay interest for the remaining contract. Had a friend who missed that detail.
As for financing or not in itself. It's all about the interest rate you pay and personal preferences. If you can get <2% interest I'd say it's worth considering as there are plenty of investments that yield more with fairly low risk.
Also regarding paying off at the end. That's not how it really works. If you hang on to the car for so long you get a new loan to replace the old.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
If you take finance, I think you get insurance, should you end up with a lemon of a car. Similar to when you make a purchase on a credit card.
Yep, just need to put a small deposit on credit card when buying outright and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dealers always want you to use their finance.

Just look at that final payment of £45,000! Designed exactly to make you think no way I can just get a brand new one and stick to paying £600 a month for it. Therefore keeping you in the car payment wheel forever more.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I do some finance in business as it's impossible to grow at the rate I want buying equipment with cash, but cars no way if I can't afford to buy it for cash then I can't afford it so I don't have it it's as simple as that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was never interested in financing the GTR but just curious As to how many people use it, as I’ve heard so many times by different people Saying that cash is no longer king when buying a car...

buying it outright isn’t the problem, it’s trying to get the best deal, although there literally no option to tick on the GTR... the rrp is what I’m expecting anything less is bonus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sure you can get some discount as well. See what car wow are offering then use that for bargaining. The dealer pay a referral fee to car wow so you should be able to get some sort of deal I would hope.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If you are happy keeping the car for 5-6yrs then I dont think the Nissan finance you have linked is a good idea as the durations dont match. I would personally look into saving a deposit yourself and then a bank loan over 5yrs for the remainder of the balance, this also then opens the opportunity of picking up a 1 or 2 yr old car with warranty remaining and the biggest chunk of depreciation (typically) already having happened before your ownership.

Just avoid dealership finance on their used stock, its mainly the manufacturers contribution that makes their finance appealing on new orders only, you lose this incentive on used.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Cash is king in negotiations.
for most dealers this couldn’t be more wrong, most car salesmen are incentivised on selling finance you just end up with a car as part of the process.

different obviously if you are buying privately.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For all the GTRs owners who brought their car NEW, what sorta deal did you get? Any freebies, offers? How much did you actually get off?
I assume it much be quite hard to get haggled as there’s no optional extra to add.

Even with my haggling skills I managed to get a few bits thrown in With my current car, but still paid near the rrp.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a my20 track edition using carwow...got £10,500 off list price...and because I’d ordered early, I had agreed it price protected against the extra £5k that Nissan added to the new model’s original list price from when I’d first ordered? :cool:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts