GTR Forum banner

Fire from the exhaust tube?!!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kotaro 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new here, I don't have a skyline (I'm 15 years old) but anyway I wanted to join this forum to ask guys you a question. I just saw on the picture gallery of gtr.co.uk 2 skylines throwing flames through their exhaust tubes. Sure I've seen this before, but only on race cars. And I had heard that those flames are because of the anti - lag system kicking in, and that an anti lag system would kill a normal car's exhaust manifold after a few miles of use. So how come those skylines are spitting fire? That's really cool, but how did they do it? do all standard skylines do that? whouldn't this fire kill the exhaust system?

thanks

#4 ·
Anti-lag on the rally cars is different from mere excess fuel in modified cars. The anti-lag uses a program which feeds fuel off throtle. This fuel flows out through the hot exhaust manifold and due to the heat it burn (actually it burst into fire) in the manifold creating pressure. This pressure causes the turbo to spool off throtle and that's why there's no lag. This program will off course hurt the manifold (could cause it to crack due to the continuos heat generated) and the effect on the turbos will also be great (it is spooling all the time!).
The flames coming out from the exhaust tail is different. These are excess fuel which flows out through the exhaust to the tail when it finally mixes with oxygen and heat causing it to burst into flame. It normally happen in modified cars especially when the inlet cam lift is different from the exhaust cam lift (higher lift for the exhaust cam). I have not heard of the manifold cracking because of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.