GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a quick skim of the site ive not managed to find anything that answers my questions (appologies if thats due to my poor efforts!) regarding buying a 33.

A little history.... Just got out of uni and started working as a software developer and now its time to buy a car!

So far ive had myself set on buying a mkIV supra tt, ive done all my research on them etc and know i could afford it.

BUT... I know i want a skyline, the insurance is reasonable (£1940 with protected 4yrs ncb with Tesco, im 23, live in reasonable area (Reading) and no claims) so now I need to get details about the owning/running of them.

Off the top of my head....
- how often are Service intervals?
- how much are services (varying levels of service im assuming)?
- what sort of milage do problems occur?
-- and what problems will occur? (plus approx costs involved please!)
- Im looking at spending around 13-14k, I know this is the lower end of prices for 33's but its the limit i need to stick to. Will i find a decent example for this?
- What sort of problems could i expect on a car of that value?

Oh and is there anyone on this board from the Reading area? Ive spotted near a mates house a GTI-R and two GTR's always parked outside this one house, anyone on here?

Many Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I am in Reading area, but car is off road for the winter!

prices, yeah, you can get a GTR for the money you have, speak to Dirk on here who can source you one. As for servicing and costs, you need to set aside a fair bit of money. Best thing is to ring a couple of the tuners and get prices direct from the horses mouth as it were. They can also advise what is likely to expire at certain miles also....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Any suggestions as to places/people i should contact to answer my questions? (Prefereably local-ish! Berks area)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
if you want someone local for tuning/service advice, then Abbey would be your nearest. If you want to speak to someone about buying a car then email Dirk.

·
Registered
895 Posts
orite dave m8
welcome to the boards
hope it goes well in your search for a gtr
speak soon lee

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the advice yesterday lee

going to go look at that car i showed you tonight!

really shouldnt be buying it before my contract at work is made permenant but **** it! im only young once! lol

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Gay boy

you know what I think on this.
The V has many add ons to it and was some 7 grand more expensive when newer.
but the UK market has not taken this into consideration so non V's fetch as much as Vs.
The diff is on the track.....
But then you would not know about that...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Nick mate,

Can you actually tell then ? I have a V spec and have never driven a non V.

Incidentally to prospective buysers.. to tell if you have a v or non v, have a squizz at the rear diff.

On a v-spec there are radiating fins on the non v it is a smooth casting.

Don't rely on the dash or the sticker as some cheaters have put in an A-lsd light and placed a sticker on the back of the car.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'd love to steve when I get some time

have driven both...the non Vs will step out at the drop of a hat and the V's will react so much quicker to slip and transfer.
You are right on other points.
other things such as more torque as std from V, better suspension ie springs and struts, stronger wishbone and arms all round....
tell you what why don't the new buyers email the tuners....
[email protected]
or even give Middlehurst a ring as they will put you straight...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the info.

From what i had read on this site I was pretty sure i wanted a Vspec anyway. (budget allowing)

Ill mail Abbey though and ask their advice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: I'd love to steve when I get some time

Smootster73 said:
other things such as more torque as std from V
Where did you get that information? The engines are identical.

The differences (as has been discussed a million times) are:

• Stiffer Suspension on VSpec
  • Active Rear LSD
  • Faster ATTESSA Pro System
  • Brake air guide

The stiffer suspension on the VSpec is in most owner's opinions too stiff for UK roads with a lot of owners swapping the VSpec springs for Trust Dowmax or similar.

I haven't driven a VSpec, so can't comment on how the active LSD improves things, but I do know that it can't handle as much power as the standard LSD. Once again I can't comment on how much the ATTESSA Pro is better than the standard ATTESSA, but I did read that only the most accomplished of drivers would be able to tell the difference.

Basically what I am trying to say is that both cars have their purpose, and not to write off the non-vspec on the basis of this comment:
Make sure it's a vspec...
I won't even go into the reasons why.

Simon - Quite happy with his lowly non-vspec.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
er Nissan

namely Middlehurst...it is in the brochure as having more torque.

Not quite the same as yours tho Si!! :p :smokin: Yours has rather a lot! Hope it is going well. Have felt the force once with Zini from Dragon!! and that was quite stonkin!!!

Drive a Vspec hard and for some time and then you can comment...I noticed the non Vs to be alot more twicthy in the wet and prone to more slide and oversteer.....

Hey I am just commenting on experiences and what other owners have said.
I AM NOT DISSIN non Vs it is just the V is the one everyone soughts after.

N

·
Registered
520 Posts
From Middlehurst...

...oh. :eek:

Anyone know for 100%?

Nick,

After this month the car is laid up for the winter. Should be some more torque coming for the summer. ;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Another way to look at it...

why are the dealers in the UK badging the non Vs as Vs if there is no diff?

A: beacuse they command a greater value?
A: because they are more sought after?
A: because there are fundmental diffs?

Personally when I bought my first gtr I had no idea about the V and Non V as I thought a GTR was a GTR. Apparently not....
After sampling both then I began to understand.

I have pinged middlehusrt and Gazmo at HKS to see if they know and can tell so we can update our records in Technical or soemwhere for ref.
Hope this will help for future as this is relevant to the R34 as well as you get Vs and non Vs!! And it starts all over again.
I know that the Vs came with all the carbon splitters n that.

N

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im actually going to look at a nonV one tonight....

is there any chance people could point out things to look for? (the ususal turbo smoke and stuff im aware of) any specifically skyline things?

also is there anyone in Reading who would be willing to come to the dealer with me to cast their eye over it? Id feel alot happier buying it if an existing owner gave the thumbs up. (lol, no comebacks i promise!) Its hard to stay rational on this!

the car is a 98 R with 70k Km on it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just read another thread saying to ask on here about the specific car....

other than the details above its metallic purple and on 19" wheels, not sure on the reg (will post it later tonight)

anyone know that car?

Nissan Skyline R33 , 1998 R Reg , Coupe, 70,000 km , 2 Doors. ABS, Air Bag, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Immobilizer.Matalic Purple 19" Alloy Wheels All usual extras

1 - 20 of 34 Posts