GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first ever RWYB event today, and also my first time at trying to launch the GTR. Only did 2 runs as after the second run the car stank of burnt clutch and still does now after a 2.5hour drive home!

Both runs were pretty poor tbh, first run was the best with a 14.57 @ 100.5mph, second being 14.77 @ 101mph. Im running 356bhp. First run up the strip I let the clutch out while keeping the revs around 3k rpm, which I found out was way too low as the car just bogged down, second run I messed up and pretty much slipped the clutch throughout first gear :nervous:

Have to say, its nowhere near as easy as it looks to put in decent times on the strip so respect to anyone that can!

Saw a couple of other 33 GTRs there - a midnight purple one with white alloys and a white one with graphics (Garage Ito?). White one was putting in some cool times (late 12s IIRC). Also was a DMG 35 there, from what I saw was consistently putting in low 12s :D

Might need a new clutch now though, cant figure out why the car still smells 4hours after a run :(

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
By the way did you get your car from autobmc looks like their place in the background. Mine came from there and they supply top stuff with a good service as well

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to come away from the day with high 13's, but couldnt get a launch right. Wasnt too unhappy with it though as I watched a tuned black cossie do a 16s run and loads of other quick cars that couldnt quite get into the 14's...

*edit* Yes it was from AutoBMC, bought it last November, fresh import. No problems with it at all since buying, like you say they do supply top stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was my DMG R35. This was the first time I ever tried a drag strip so was pleased to get under 12s. Had three 11.94 sec and one 11.92 and slowest was 12.1 (apart from the one when I forgot to wait for the green light) so pretty consistant. Was keen to see what she would do in box standard trim. Looking forward to doing it again after a couple of mods. Spanked a couple of corvettes and a mustang (should have gone jap guys). :chuckle:A great day out, highly recommend it for an adrenalin fix. Only seen one street legal go quicker which was an R34 (seen him do a 11.5). Nice to see a good showing from the Skyline family.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did wonder if you were on here - did you not see me give you the thumbs up when we drove past each other? It was when I had first arrived - about 10.30ish, you just carried on in the other direction :sadwavey:

The Corvettes you spanked were probably the ones that beat me - an old C6 and a Camaro Z28...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Appologies if I missed your thumbs up, I would never diss a skyline owner:thumbsup:. I've only had the R35 since June and never owned any previous skylines but I'm already a full blown addict.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Hey Dan, well done for getting out there in the Skyline and having a go, it's not easy at all :D Practice and a decent clutch are the key to faster times. You'll need to be brave though and think about upping that launch rev limit to around 5500 if you want to see 12s, and then keep your foot on the gas when the back end starts squirming off the line :D

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
It was my DMG R35. This was the first time I ever tried a drag strip so was pleased to get under 12s. Had three 11.94 sec and one 11.92 and slowest was 12.1 (apart from the one when I forgot to wait for the green light) so pretty consistant. Was keen to see what she would do in box standard trim. Looking forward to doing it again after a couple of mods. Spanked a couple of corvettes and a mustang (should have gone jap guys). :chuckle:A great day out, highly recommend it for an adrenalin fix. Only seen one street legal go quicker which was an R34 (seen him do a 11.5). Nice to see a good showing from the Skyline family.
Well done mate:smokin:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hi bud,that was my GARAGE ITO R33,i did see your car looked very clean but didnt see you run.
Best i managed was 11.3 @ 129,i am no expert but the 20mph head wind cant of helped.
I must say i have a new found respect for guys running sub 9 second runs,**** etc
it just all happens so fast.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh lets just say im better at cleaning my car than drag racing it, for sure!

Took a good look over yours when it was parked up, the front end just looks so mean with the carbon splitter and canards, a very cool looking car overall.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
just took my standard 33 gtr on the strip..
0.7 reaction time and 14.06 on a gravel covered runway.. the first and only run of the day. Slipped the clutch a bit on second and third so I reckon I lost a few tenths..

·
Registered
65 Posts
debut

Did my first ever RWYB event today, and also my first time at trying to launch the GTR. Only did 2 runs as after the second run the car stank of burnt clutch and still does now after a 2.5hour drive home!

Both runs were pretty poor tbh, first run was the best with a 14.57 @ 100.5mph, second being 14.77 @ 101mph. Im running 356bhp. First run up the strip I let the clutch out while keeping the revs around 3k rpm, which I found out was way too low as the car just bogged down, second run I messed up and pretty much slipped the clutch throughout first gear :nervous:

Have to say, its nowhere near as easy as it looks to put in decent times on the strip so respect to anyone that can!

Saw a couple of other 33 GTRs there - a midnight purple one with white alloys and a white one with graphics (Garage Ito?). White one was putting in some cool times (late 12s IIRC). Also was a DMG 35 there, from what I saw was consistently putting in low 12s :D

Might need a new clutch now though, cant figure out why the car still smells 4hours after a run :(
i done my 1st at woodbridge,made a right balls trying to change gear too quick,still it was a great day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts