GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to track my GT-R soon even possibly this weekend, the closest circuit to me is Castle Coombe, I don't want to go for fast laps or even hoon it around constantly, just want some quick bursts and experience really pushing it in a corner.

My question is for those that have been to Castle Coombe, is there corners on the track with huge run-offs so if I do F it up I won't smash into a barrier.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Adam will take a look at that.

Nurburgringgtr, spur of the moment thing really, I never organise things, so If I could, would be the next day if it can be done and booked that quickly or even on the day.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hey Dean,

If you're willing to travel a bit (or quite a bit ;)) and want a circuit that has about as little to 'hit' as possible, then you may want to think about the Bedford Autodrome: Trackday Calendar - Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Cadwell Park and Bedford Autodrome

Only real issue - other than it's a pretty featureless environment - is that noise restrictions are tight, but I think you have a pretty standardish GTR so you should be fine

Enjoy your first trackday which ever one you do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Get down to Silverstone Dean. Great circuit, plenty of run off and a great facility. I had my first track experience there in the GT-R academy cars. Great day. You can even get an instructor to give you some tips.

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
Dean, how about doing a CATDT day first? I think it would make your first track day a lot more enjoyable and would teach you a lot about your cars true capabilities. Just a thought.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I were you Dean and wanted to push the GTR then I would be doing a CAT Driver training day before just showing up at a track.

It's a good day out and the combination of the instructors and the facilities at Millbrook means you're significantly less likely to stack it!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Agree with Tazz. It's a great day and you learn loads about the car. Will make your track day miles more enjoyable after.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Silverstone i found is the easiest for a first timer.. Loads of run off and good, wide circuit

Heres a video i took just a while back at Silverstone with my gopro (My second time at silverstone) :D

Silverstone GTR 26/05/2014 (Wet Lap) - YouTube

Im planning to also hit either snetterton or Bedford soon as i have heard they are good tracks with some run off.. and then road trip to nurburgring !:thumbsup:

Also i agree everyone who suggest CAT driver training day.. Helps alot.. I have never been but i got quite a few laps training with Jake Hill which changed my whole experience on track..

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Quarry is a corner to watch out for I have seen too many disaster and tears through it. There is a slight rise that you must not brake on you either brake before which is the sensible thing to do in a road car though lighter cars with better braking you brake after the rise and you will slow down enough to make the turn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwvCEJPT-s

Good tracks for novices are silverstone and Bedford as they have plenty of run off.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you're looking for plenty of run-off in corners then Castle Coombe is not for you. It's not a forgiving circuit. As already suggested do a CAT DT day first, it will be money well spent!

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
Are you insured for track days Dean? Check your policy

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
A few pointers.

1. Do some training first, you'll get a lot more out of the car due to improved confidence in knowing where it's abilities are.

2. Do another track first like Silverstone, preferably with the GTROC where other experienced drivers who are GTR fans are about and can give you some pointers.

3. Have fun.

Castle Combe is notorious for having more accidents than nearly any other circuits.
Many track day insurance policies actually EXCLUDE Castle Combe.
Obviously for a reason.
Quarry catches people out, I see many spins here every time I go.
Camp looks easy until you drive it too.

Here is my vid of Castle Combe from April, in particular notice how close the barriers are to the track for much of the lap...

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Come to daddy........................ Combe is my home circuit, surprised no one had told you that = I love it, HOWEVER it can and will catch you out if you are not on your toes.

When are you thinking of doing it as I am only an hour away and could do with shaking the R33 down again

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Thing is you should NOT be thinking about running off - even on a circuit which you can as you should always be driving within your and your cars limits.

CC is a great circuit to "learn" on - but as I say you do need to be aware of the 3 corners as each is technical, but once you master them you can take any corner at Silverstone, Bedford, Goodwood, Thruxton, Donington etc

Again, you don't have to go flat out and if you get some training they will teach yu the lines and hen you just build up slowly

PM me if you need any help with Combe or any of the other circuits mentioned

Run off area's are for people who run out of talent, or have to take avoiding action, lets hope the first isn't going to be you

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for all the input, decided to go for a CATdt at Silverstone, will have to get that booked etc.

Does anyone know on one of the training days, can someone else come in the car, or does it have to be driver and instructor only?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its alot more fun with the GTROC crew and you will get training by jake hill ;) best option

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Its alot more fun with the GTROC crew and you will get training by jake hill ;) best option
You can't always guarantee that.
He tends to get booked up quickly when the thread gets put up so you need to be quick.

There is the option of experienced GTROC members or instructors working at the track (for a small fee) too if he is booked up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts