GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i fitted a catch can yesterday now i'm getting a bit of smoke coming from my exshaust,not all the time maily when letting of the throttle,is this normal??:confused:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sounds like you have fittet it wrong!!!!
If both hoses from the cam covers are gong to the tank, you should be ok for the catch tank part, but have a diffrent problem, oil seals in the turbos or something.
Sounds like when i tested my old engine, took the hose off the Exhaust cover and blocked it off and result is the same as you. That means all oil vapors are going directly into the intake side and not so good for the engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have blocked and caped the induction side, caped off the one near the fuel rail,and run the left had side into catch tank then the other port on the catch tank is left with a length of pipe with a filter on the end..from what i have read this is right....isn't it??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already have caped the one going to rear turbo and the valve near fuel rail and the right (n/s) cam cover,and left the u pipe joining the 2 cam covers.
been thinking maybe my caping isn't airtight..(as i couldn't find anything to cap i used a pice of pipe with a small piston wedged into it..)would it matter if it wasn't completly air tight??or should i have 2 feeds going to catch tank??
it was my understanding the can only needed one feed and the other feed would vent to atmos..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
taken of can and plumbed everything back to how it was,been out for a drive and no smoke so must have done something wrong,guess i'll just forget about can for now...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You block off the passenger side outlet from the Cam cover to the Turbo so will need a cap for the cam cover and one for the pipe going to the turbo. I would have though this would be the only place oil / crap would vented back via the turbos and possibly show as smoke out the rear!

Leave the connector in place between the cam covers, Run the drivers side outlet to your catch tank, block of the opening on the head and vent the second outlet on the catch tank through a filter or run a hose to the back of the car.

If you have done the above I dont see how this can be causing your car to smoke unless you have unmasked a problem elsewhere.

Kev

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^thats how i done it but it smoked out the exshaust,could it be where i reduced the pipe from drivers side cam cover from 22mm down to 15mm so it would fit my catch tank??
i can't see how i could have unmasked a problem as i have now put it back to how it was and theres no smoke!!:bawling:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It sounded from above like you had plummed it in correctly, which is strange as I am not sure how adding a catch tank would cause smoke. Unless the new setup with catch tanks is causing pressure somewhere. Was there much in the catch tank when you took it back off?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there was nothing in the tank but could see a bit of oil in the pipe going from tank to filter,it was only on for the one daybefore i took it off!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Its not smoking with the std fittings because the fumes are being drawn into the intake manifold and being burnt (under vacuum, valve on balance tube opens).

So you probably have heavy breathing from engine, you have only exposed the issue due to deleting the vacuum re-circ part of breather..........

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Worn bores, worn rings etc. Not wishing to cause any concern! Simply trying to explain why its noticable with a vent to atmos breather rather than std one.

Reducing the diameter of the breather pipes would certainly not help either.

The ideal breather set-up would keep the std intake manifold fitting and valve, but running to the catch tank, however this also requires a one way valve in the vent to atmos pipe........I`ve not seen one running like this on a GTR btw......

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Its not smoking with the std fittings because the fumes are being drawn into the intake manifold and being burnt (under vacuum, valve on balance tube opens).

So you probably have heavy breathing from engine, you have only exposed the issue due to deleting the vacuum re-circ part of breather..........
Thats exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't find the words! Well put ExScoobyT

·
Registered
372 Posts
maybe you didnt cap the turbo end properly. one off my boost pipes came off and i had black smoke going everywhere think it was because the car was overfueling like mad

·
Registered
594 Posts
Also check and make sure that all hoses to the can do not have a kink in them. Sometimes in all hurry we install everything and a bit of kink in the hoses(s) could be causing a blockage.

I have had this issue on another car and due to the huge amount of pressure being caged up, the rear crank seal let oil pass through. Well, this was the extreme case as I was running NOS too so way excess pressure.

My 2c.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I also got this smoking and fitted it just like stated in this thread. I have a catch tank that vents into the atmosphere and I could see the smoke coming out of it! But then again I didn't start the car for like 2 weeks could be just that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finally got round to fitting my can again,this time i used 22mm pipe going into 22mm fittings on my can...
i now get no smoke..:clap:.. my problem was the fitting which were on the can were tiny...:eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts