GTR Forum banner

Fitting a FMIC, how hard?

3K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich J 
#1 ·
I've got a HKS FMIC and was wondering how difficult it is to fit? Mechanically I'm okay but having never fitted an intercooler I was wondering?

Although the instructions are all in Japenese it doesn't appear to be all hard and the hard pipe kit seems simple enough? Been quoted around £175 to have it fitted by RC Developments and thats 5 hours worth of labour they reckon, is that good or bad?

Any advice would be great, thx.

#2 ·
Rich,

It's fairly straight forward to do on a GT-R although fairly time consuming, not sure about a GTS though but I guess much the same... The HKS connecting hoses are a pig to get on as they are so tight. You need to use some form of lubricant which doesn't stay wet after you've finished. I tried hairspray (not mine or my idea!) but found that plain old water did the trick in the end.

£175 seems a good price to me though if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

Peter.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for that guys, but Peter I knew the bumper had to come off but does the headlight or was that just for another reason?

I think I may try it myself as it doesn't seem to difficult but as u say time consuming.

jrpidgeon did u ever fit one to your gtst and if so how long did it take u and what parts other than the bumper did u have to remove?

#10 ·
Thanks Peter, I was thinking either Trust or HKS. I must admit, it helps to see the thing on someones car - like yours for example, gives you a better prospective of what your getting.

Rich, My GTS come with an uprated intercooler. I removed it and put a standard one back on, a couple of weeks ago. It took about 3 hours to remove and fit the standard one back on.

You have to remove the airbox, front bumper & the plastic trim under the wing (get some spair clips before you do this! B@stards to remove). Your find the hardest part will be, removing the jubilee clips on the pipes that are fed through the wing. They are very close to the wing which makes it hard to get a screwdriver / socket on them. I didn't have to remove the headlight to do mine.

Jason.

#12 ·
I'm selling the car soon, and I've removed all the uprated parts. As it happens the intercooler fits my 200sx perfect, and only needed slight mods to make it fit. As you said the GTS has a wing mounted intercooler, its about 30cm x 20 cm and 5 - 6 cm deep. Its efficent enough for the low standard boost.

Jason.

#13 · (Edited)
Just looking at the descrustions mate and the pics are a little dark but can make out how to fit, but looks like the horns have to be moved? Where though as looking at the pic it goes between the slam panel and the rad? To u use the original bracket for the horns?

Another the trim under the wing do u need to replace this as I gather its only there to protect the stock cooler or i'm i wrong mate? Sure it will make sense on the day.

Would help if HKS did there leaflets in english! lol

#14 · (Edited)
I never moved the horns, probaly because they where already re-located by the previous owner, and I haden't noticed it. My horns are located in the same place as gtr ones are. Either side of the bonnet catch.

You can see where the horns mount on this picture.

You only have to remove the plastic trim, on the near side to get access to the standard intercooler, which you have to remove.

Jason.

#15 ·
Cheers m8, just trying to cover all aspects so u always know where u stand! Car looks like a wee beastie mate!:D

U ain't got a pic of the gtst with the cooler on have you mate? I had the cooler out a few hours ago and did a pretend build so i new which bits were which, so i got one hard pipe that goes the air filter area, the other to the manifold with a little pipe for the oil catch and a few brackets and some very big jubilee clips and HKS hoses! I just hope the weather is nice thats all!

#16 ·
Sorry Rich, no pictures of the intercooler. If you where a couple of weeks quicker, I would have taken some pics, with the front bumper removed.

Once you get the front bumper off, all will become simple & self explaining. I cant think of anything that will be a problem:rolleyes:.

Let us know how you get on.

Jason.

#20 ·
Yep fitted mine in a day.
Its a bit tricky to locate some of the bolts but take your time and there should not be a problem.
Don,t know if the GTR front is different to the GTS through :D
If you have japanese instructions just follow the pictures and they will point you in the right direction.
Best regards Alan :D

#23 ·
Nowe Jason I hope you are fitting that soon! lol Mounting wise there are only three points the cooler to be mounted, so shouldn't be to bad. But I will take pics any way so maybe on here or else there is a comprehensive how to do sort of thing?

#26 ·
Fitting the intercooler, everything was going fine until I came to the drivers side and realised that the hardpipe kit clashes with the inner wing.

Do I need to drill a hole through part of the inner wing for it to slot through and fit into the intercooler. if so how do I go about drilling it? Do I use an angle grinder or is there a special tool that I can use??

Looking at the HKS instructions i can now make sense of where its giving dimensions to cut the hole but my problem is how do I cut the hole??

Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.