GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after some general advice before I hack the car up :D

The new rear wings are GRP, and about 35mm wider. They seem to fit well enough when offered up to the car.

I'm planning to cut out some of the metal that will no longer be needed (and is damaged/welded from the crash at oulton earlier in the year).

So.... my question is How Much Metal Do I Cut out? And what do i weld up once its out (to make it all a bit stiffer again)?

Fuel Flap - The new wings obv dont have one (they have a hole), so what is the best thing to do? Extend the current pipe out and fit the flap to the new wings?

Fitting: I'm just going to pop rivet the buggers on with a bit of sikaflex in areas.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated :)

pics of them

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
2 things check out sideways taff's R32 GTS with the BeeR kit, he's relocated the filler to just infront of the boot, (by the rear winscreen) to allow him not to use the in wing filler cap.
Second have you tried PM'ing Gaz at JapSalon as im sure he'd be able to advise you of what to cut away given that he's done quite a few wide body R32 rears now with his Veilside style kits, (think there may even have been a thread showing how much work was done before bonding the fibreglass kits on, have a search.
Hope this helps.
;)
bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whole tube of sikaflex each side and hold on with screws temporarily, remove the screws once the bondings cured and blend in and spray.

rivets will normally cause sinkage in the paint, sikaflex only will hold them fine.

I fitted my r33 ones the same way, although i made our r32 ones right up to the window so there easier to fit, but yours will be okay.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi Adam Gaz here ..If you look at the veilside project thread youl see this alot clearer buddy

Ok We usually bond our rear quarters on by the following method

using 60 grit paper ..abrade the area that will be in contact with the steel pannel and at least a couple of inches either side of the join area ..

assuming you have cut out the steel underneath the arch already and welded it up so as the make the inner and outer skin solid again this will be a good start..

offer up the grp wing and tape into place ising the swage lines to get the positioning right .. we dont ues sikoflex as it seems to flex and crack the skim of filler in the area..

ok once its taped in situ use either self cutting screws and every say 5-6" drill into the outer skin ..

untill you have all the areas tight to the outer arch..

ok heres where you,l need some knowelage on resins and fiber mat ..

take off the grp wing and then we lay a wet band of fiberglass mat along the area to be bonded, then re attach the grp wing aligning the holes up again and then re screw in the self tapping screws untill the outer wing is firm aganst the steel pannel on the car wipe of any residue and leave to cure in some relatave heat for a day ..

Once cured all you have to do (using an power drill) in reverse unwind the screws out and then you will see how strong the bond is ..

Ad,s If you want to call me about this its on probs buddy id be glad to help

cheers Gaz

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Poor Fee,
Everytime I see shots of the car on the track, the weather looks awfull, I would be a handfull to drive!!

....Having said that, we are have a Scottish summer here in New Zealand at the moment, Would be the worst Summer that I can remember!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts