GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics and vids of a Stainless Steel GTC Y Pipe with resonator fitted to my GTR. Hope you find this post of use.

Like most, I was always a bit disappointed with the sound of the GTR, which seems too muted, I wanted to fit a Y pipe but I did not want it too intrusive on long runs. As I have my own ramp, I planned to fit it myself, and refit the original each time the car went for a service due to the ambiguity regarding Y pipes, Warranty’s and Dealers positions on them. I know might seem a lot of work but they literally take 20 mins to swap.

Benji at GTC suggested the Stainless Y pipe with resonator. It arrived in two days, and was well packaged. I was impressed by the quality, it has excellent welds and finish.
See pics here:

They are easy to fit if you have access to a ramp - I guess you could fit one with the on axle stands or similar, with slightly more difficulty. If you have ever looked under a GTR you will see lots of covers and panels, fortunately the section of the exhaust where the Y Pipe is installed is exposed.

Here are a few pics of the Standard Exhaust in situ.

To remove the “Y” section, you need a deep 14mm socket and ratchet. Remove the six nuts marked in red on the pic below and it’s off! Keep the gaskets, as I reused theses when fitting the GTC Y pipe. You do get gaskets with the GTC item, but the originals are thicker.

Here are some pics of the Y pipe installed.

Here is a vid of the before and after sound. Up to 54 seconds, it’s the standard car, after that its wit the GTC Resonated Y pipe. Each time I blipped the throttle three times, then held it for a few seconds at 2000, 3000,4000 and then 5000, then blipped the throttle another three times.

Overall I was pleased with the Y pipe; it was not intrusive at all and gave the car a bit more character. I still needed to open window slightly when going through tunnels to here the full GTR experience! I recently sold the car so I returned it to standard so that the new owner has no “W” issues.

Regards

Sy

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post up the photos and video. I'm in the "want one but not too loud" camp too. Sounded good to me and that welding is immaculate.

Can you confirm it's not too boomy on the motorway - I do a fair few business miles and wouldn't want it much louder inside than stock if possible.

Also, one for Ben - have you heard the Cobb resonated + catted y pipe yet? Thought that looked appealing as presumably it won't cause any problem come MOT time and the car won't run too rich? Could you supply one?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Mick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waltong

I live in central London and the cars not really suitable, and lost the use of my garage, so decided to sell.

Ben-

No worries, I was genuinely suprise at the thickness,quality and finish of the Y pipe - a well engineered product.

Micky -

No booming at all. To be honest is was not loud enough for my taste, and I should of gone for the un-resonated version. Sound wise the car with the resonated y pipe was IMHO equal a Porsche 911 without the sports button pressed.

With the Resonated Y pipe no passengers mentioned the noise, and once I had swapped it back to standard, I realised just how quite they are out of the box.

Sy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for sharing. What do you mean with "W" issue?
Warranty - Some say they dont affect the Warranty, some do. When I picked up my car from Middlehurst in July they stated they do, but to others they have said they dont.

Regards

Sy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts