GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the fitting of tomei poncams type b 260/9,15mm require any work on the head or can i just run it stock without modifying it? except shims that i need to get new ones

·
Registered
99 Posts
How many people who have installed these themselves checked the valve clearance afterwards or had to replace shims?

I have a set of secondhand 'B's sitting here waiting to go in.. Getting conflicting reports wether it is actually worthwhile compared to stockers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you ask endless they say the poncams are waste of money, others say it is good.

Another question about these, some say that i dont even need to change shims at all but im not so sure as a few people said you must measure it and get new ones.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Depends what you are looking for I fitted them on the advice of Tweenie after telling him what I was loking for from my car. Told him I was looking for high 5 hundreds hp but still good driveability. He said type B poncams were the 1s to use. Ideal.
Ref shims. Can't really say as my head was off & had new ex. seats all new guides springs o/size valves & new greddy springs + seats re-cut so obviously had to re shim
Heard that you don't have to with these cams but only measuring will confirm.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The whole point of EASY/PON Cams is 'easy' drop-in. They have the same base circle size as OEM Camshafts and do not require shimming.... if you have a virgin/untouched Cylinder Head that is, although, you should always check clearances just to be certain.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack, but how does the 10.25 mm lift cams fit in relative to stock? Been thinking of running IN:260, 10.25mm and EX:252, 9.15mm.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Anything that Tomei makes for the RB26 that has OVER 9.15mm of lift has a smaller base circle than stock (or PonCam) and requires shimming.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Also, that is a horrible match....but that is just my humble opinion and I guess it ultimately depends on your particular application.

Are you worried about Overlap ? Reversion ? Idle characteristics ? There are better combinations to address any concerns you may have.

OR.....
Are you simply trying to mimic a Mine's setup using Tomei products ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also looking into these as well in addition to the Tomei valve springs (type A). Is it pointless to upgrade the cams unless you have to do machine work to the head? Sorry if this is a noob question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts