GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks
2009 GTR R35 Black Edition

The interior silver trim is flaking - the top of it, like a kind of lacquer that has become cloudy and started to crack and flake in areas all over the interior
Under the cloudy flakes is almost perfect mirrored interior that I'd very much like to protect

So I wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this before - how do I take the whole of the cloudy layer off without damaging the under layer

I hope to heavily lacquer/protect the under layer and keep it shiny mirror-like

Let me know please

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
The trim panels are painted silver/aluminium colour and its that coating which is coming off. If you want to remove all the silver etc colour you'll need to sand down through the coating to get to the base gloss black plastic. If you want to keep the silver finish it will need spraying in acrylic paint following a good surface preparation. Quite a bit of work either way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trim panels are painted silver/aluminium colour and its that coating which is coming off. If you want to remove all the silver etc colour you'll need to sand down through the coating to get to the base gloss black plastic. If you want to keep the silver finish it will need spraying in acrylic paint following a good surface preparation. Quite a bit of work either way.
Hey, thanks so much for the response
in my car it's actually the other way around (If I am reading what you are meaning properly)
The cloudy stuff is some sort of layer on TOP of that silver layer you are seeing - it's almost like the silver layer underneath was protected by some sort of cover that has, over time, become cloudy and started to flake off
It's the cloudy stuff in the picture that I can scrape off with my finger nail to reveal the very shiny silver under it

the cloudy stuff is easy to remove in high-wear areas but seems pretty steadfast in other areas so I was wondering if I can heat it off, scrub it off, if there is a chemical that will take it off, or something else
The silver layer underneath is in very good shape so I would protect it with lacquer or something
I cant be the only person to have noticed this but maybe folks just wrapped it/replaced it/painted it

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yes, I see now. I wonder if it has had a carbon trim fitted in the past to the panel and when removed it has left some residue/material? The silver finish scratches real easy as you probably know so if yours is in good condition definitely worth getting it all back to stock silver. If its glue or a wrap then a hair dryer will get it lifted without damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts