GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
If they spotted the flames I suppose they could pull you and demand the vehicle pass an emissions test.
If it only occurs when accelerating I don't see how it can be dangerous to other road user's, unless ofcourse someone is following directly behind you, which in itself could be classed as "undue care and attention".

But ofcourse I am forgetting that the police can stop you and charge you with whatever they feel like, whenever they feel like.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Didnt have a flamer kit, and didnt have anyone within miles around (was gone midnight on a quiet road in a weekday, IMO it didnt happen and policeman didnt see anything, just seen my car do it in the past and decided to do me), but didnt stop them doing me for it, so....

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think Stu0X will be able to answer this..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MADsteve said:
Plead ignorance. Like you say in your first thread, it was your mate that spotted the flames, not you :D :D
Yeah, might just work the first couple of times. Keeps people wanting a go off my tale as well!

Skylines do this anyway once you have a decent exhaust with no restrictions and a little bit of over-fuelling anyway don't they?

Deffo do not want to get a cat fitted come MOT time as the car is set up for the way it is now. Looks like I better find a dodgy MOT'er.

How does anybody else here deal with this?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Harry got pulled over on the way to TOTB3 last year ... after his car spat out a HUGE flame ... he informed the police that it wasn't meant to do that and that he would get it booked in to get it checked straight away.

They let him on his way.

It was an entertaining story when he arrived at our campsite that evening and told everyone what had happened ;)

Mine puts out some enormous flames at times ... just a bit of unburnt fuel. My dad's 32 GTS-T is almost stock (bar exhaust and boost at 1 bar) and that puts out flames too ...

You'll just have to wait and see if you get pulled or not.

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Dunno, probably. Not normal is it. I get the odd pop and flame from my exhaust. My guess is, like anything else, if it does it now and then, you'll be fine. If you're constantly toasting marshmallows, the Rats will want a word.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm going to count my self lucky then, I got pulled for flames on the M25 a week ago and they let me go without any major problems, a £750 fine would have killed me right now!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Probably depends on the situation. A proper flamer kit would probably get you done but a natural burn off in motion will probably be ok unless it was excessive.

40A Road Traffic Act 1988:

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when--
(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or
(b ) the purpose for which it is used, or
(c ) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or
(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,
is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts