GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask all the owners of R34 if they have similar problem, I have installed a new battery in my R34 and after 1-2 weeks of not using the car the battery is getting flat, do you have the same problem???
The R34 is a UK spec and have a factory fitted combra alarm do you think that the alarm could be using all the battery till it gets flat or skylines have some electric device on that uses energy wile switched off ??
I have other cars with different alarms and can go for a month with out charge and still start.
Forgot to mention when the battery is out of energy the alarm is doing some noises probably to inform about the low batt.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Its a known problem mate, get a heavy duty battery and/or a trickle charger if its going to be stood for a week or two. My 33 used to do it after 3 or 4 days!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
mate my 34 dose the same i got a slightly uprated battery and left the car alarmed for 2 weeks and it dies , its just a small battery mate , the way i see it is DRIVE IT MORE !!! LOL

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
thats normal mate, the 34 battery is very small and there is no room for a bigger one. You can buy a mini solar panel that sits on the parcel shelf that will kep the battery charged if the car lives outside.

However if it lives in doors (garage) i keep mine on charge.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
you can upgrade to a compact battery like an oddessy or optima rather than the standard Micra battery, but you're better getting a accumate or similar (I have two!)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As others have said perfectly normal, i put it down to the tracker, alarm and imobilser. It just looses enough charge to not be able to start the car. Just drive it once a week.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris unfortunately for the moment i am in Cyprus for only 3 months yearly so the cars are sitting in my basement garage i told the family to start them once a week for 30 minuets to warm up and switch them off or occasionally they take them out for a round, i will try this conditioner for the moment to see if its working.
My battery is a 65amps i think.
I don't find a reason why the alarm is draining the battery cause is just a small lamp taking almost nothing as i have read in the manual.

So i ques nobody ever surged for this, what is actually emptying the bat.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
the alarm is powering more than a mere lamp! Depending on what modle alarm it will be powering , it will be powering the alrm itself along with maybe a shock sensor/ sonics also.

Now lets say your battery is 65amp per hour and will last for 1 hour at 65amps?

so if your alarm pulls 1 amp per hour does that work at 65 hours untill flat? Im not sure, however a alarm will pull far less than 1 amp but if it was to pull a 1/4 of a amp i think it will be good for 1 week or so?

But the point is the cranking amps. If your car needs lets say 180 amps at 13-14 volts to turn the engine over, with the alarm, after 1 wwek you have taken a large portion of this power.

dont forget that the skyline battery in a 34 is half the size of a normall battery. So lets say it lasts 2 weeks untill it wont crank over, that will be the same to say 4 weeks with a normal size battery!

Does this make sence?

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Leaving an engine running for more than a few minutes puts mileage on the block unless its a diesel, so starting your R34 up & leaving it running for thirty minutes is not good.

You need the following ...

&

On both my Skylines I've removed the crappy battery & put Optimas in. You just need someone who knows what their doing electrically to help relocate it & wire it all in safely - unless of course your competent enough to do it yourself!

Accept no substitutes!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
mattysupra
I don't know if i am wrong but as i have read the cobra alarm should not be wasting more than 2mA/h (stand-by mode) so this was the main reason i have asked if someone have gone deeply on the cars power consumption when is off. I am sure there are people with out an alarm having the same problem.
The battery i have installed is bigger in size that the stock one.
SPEED MERCHANT

I think i will solve the problem with this:

Black & Decker BDV080 Smart Battery Maintainer: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

and surge for it more when i am back home
if someone knows more about skylines electronic wires should advice as otherwise case is close :D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I had a Nissan Micra battery originally so when I changed battery's I bought a heavy duty bosch item. I can now leave mine for 2-3 weeks probably longer without a problem with the alarm active.

I cut out a piece of card the same size as the battery tray and measured the available height - took it along to a motor factors and to my suprise found a good choice of batterys that fit perfectly in the tray and sit snug behind the rear strut brace - however.... you will need to change to larger battery clamps but on the earth side that's easy just buy a new earth lead. On the plus side I cut off the old small battery clamp and fitted an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine has just been sat for 2 weeks in the garage and fired up first time, although the alarm, tracker etc wasn't armed.

Why not disconnect the battery ?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Leaving an engine running for more than a few minutes puts mileage on the block unless its a diesel, so starting your R34 up & leaving it running for thirty minutes is not good.

You need the following ...

&

On both my Skylines I've removed the crappy battery & put Optimas in. You just need someone who knows what their doing electrically to help relocate it & wire it all in safely - unless of course your competent enough to do it yourself!

Accept no substitutes!
Oow im after all of the above, top stuff fella!
:thumbsup:
bob

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I had a Nissan Micra battery originally so when I changed battery's I bought a heavy duty bosch item. I can now leave mine for 2-3 weeks probably longer without a problem with the alarm active.

I cut out a piece of card the same size as the battery tray and measured the available height - took it along to a motor factors and to my suprise found a good choice of batterys that fit perfectly in the tray and sit snug behind the rear strut brace - however.... you will need to change to larger battery clamps but on the earth side that's easy just buy a new earth lead. On the plus side I cut off the old small battery clamp and fitted an aftermarket one.
i was about to say 'no you ent' but reading on i see you changed the battery clamps!

I have done the same and found loads of batterys also that would fit, however (like you have pointed out) you need to change the battery clamps also. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I change my battery 2 weeks ago as the dame thing wont start on me in the morning and causing me late for work and meeting, have to get the misses back from work and with jump lead to start the dame thing. after work took the battery out and talking about small crap japanese battery,it was microscopic, so took the battery out and went to halfords and the guy looked at me and say that is a small battery. so I ask them what battery they have and they say what starting power you want, so I bought one beef of a battery there for £65 and a set of replacemnet clamp and about 2 hours to fit the battery. and now everymorning the car starts like a baby.. :D

I have to say changin the R33GTR batter was hard but changing the R34GTR battery is totally taking the pi55 which the amount of things I need to take off just to get the new battery in is crazy.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
I did hear years ago that batteries from the Ford Mondeo diesel were good replacements for the R32, but personally I would just stick an optima in!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts