GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery has gone flat (I keep having to go away for work so it's not being driven). The battery is flat (well, the dash will light up but the engine won't turn) but I can't push it out of the garage to charge it up because it won't come out of gear. Bastard.

Oddly, 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened. And it went into neutral fine that time.

Is there a trick I'm missing ? Thanks.

·
Ooo Matron !
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, get a trickle charger.
Indeed, yes. I think I have one somewhere in my garage (I used to have the same trouble on my Noble). I shall be fishing it out or buying a new one now.

But, I've managed to get it out of my garage. You need the ignition in "ON", foot on the brake and then you can move out of gear. The thing is, I can't lift the bonnet up in my garage because of the shape of the back of my garage, so the bonnet goes into a space that's only a few feet fall (because that's the other side of my stairs - I have an integral garage).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Get a yellow top battery this will not go flat, I have just renewed mine and left car 3 weeks and starts 1st time every time now.

Bobby

·
Ooo Matron !
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
key slot next to gear selector to put into neutral,just remove cap and insert key.
I never knew that. Thanks, I'll have a look and make sure I know where it goes now, in case I'm stuck again.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Maypole 3.8 Amp off Ebay, £22 ish delivered.

No need to pay silly money for Ctek or Optimate.

JMHO of course.

( my 59 plate still on the original OEM battery and no problem)

Satan

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't have electricity in my garage...

I have the battery disconnected while I am working on a ton of cooling upgrades. I also can't turn the ignition on as I have the front bumper and crash sensors off the car at the moment.

Overriding the steering lock so I can push and pull the car and adjust its position in the garage would be very useful.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The moving part of the steering locks are electro-mechanical (i.e. have some sort of actuator in them to operate the "lock") so I don't think you'll be able to get it to operate without ignition, unless someones found a work-around.

Just a thought, do the crash sensors have a dedicated fuse/relay? If so, would removing that enable you to turn on ignition? ECU might throw a code, but that could be deleted later on etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just a thought, do the crash sensors have a dedicated fuse/relay? If so, would removing that enable you to turn on ignition? ECU might throw a code, but that could be deleted later on etc.
I don't know. I'll probably just remove the sensors from the bumper, hook them back up and use my lithium jump starter battery to turn the ignition on. I think the battery went dead from all the locking and unlocking (and boot opening) while I was working on the car.

Removing just a fuse would be a lot quicker and easier.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, I used my lithium power pack, worked a treat. I forgot that I had already removed the crash sensors from the bumper so was able to just reattach to the socket and power on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This has proven incredibly useful while I have the battery disconnected.

Is there a similar trick for the steering lock?
The way i disabled the steering lock a few years ago is to push start button once without your foot on the brake that will release steering lock then pull the steering lock fuse keeping it unlocked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts