GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer to this, but here goes.
I have had a very slow puncture recently and I am waiting for my usual tyre guy to come back from holiday and so have have topping the air up.
I did this tonight before putting the car in the garage.
As it was only going to take a couple of minutes I didn't turn the engine on.
The pump is a crappy little thing that takes an age and when I turned it off I noticed the radio cut out (I know - I shouldn't have left it on!), then everything went out completely, no lights on the dashboard or anything electrical.

I am fairly certain the battery is dead, but I have used the car today and it started first time. Is it possible to completely drain the battery so quickly?
The car is 4.5 years old.

I haven't got a battery tester or charger and am tempted to just go and buy a battery tomorrow rather than mess around.
Any thoughts?

Neil

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Sounds more like a blown fuse if the radio died when you turned it off?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't at exactly the same time and the dashboard lights were still on, but they then started to go. I tried the headlights and they then started to dim, before everything finally went out. I think I drained what little life there was in the battery by trying everything electrical!
There was only just enough power to close the car with the central locking.

Pretty sure the battery is screwed, but I just find it hard to understand that it could go so quickly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news and bad news.
The car just about managed to find some juice this morning and I got it started and took it to Middlehursts. The workshop is shut but John, the service manager, is on on Saturday mornings and fitted a new battery for me for a very reasonable price and checked that everything was working afterwards.
Top service and very pleased that it was only a minor issue and was sorted.

The bad news was that I met Carll whilst I was there - not bad news in itself as he was a really nice guy, but he showed me the interior of his car which has been completely retrimmed with alcantara, red leather trim and red stitching.
There is a thread on here somewhere with pictures, but they don't do it justice, it looks really classy in the flesh.

John told me that they can come up with any colour combo you want, my interior is currently light grey and looking a bit tatty and the exterior is purple/ green flip, so I am not sure what will look good inside, but I am pretty sure that I am going to have to give into temptation and get something done. Carl's interior looks fantastic and in my opinion is the one cosmetic mod that I have seen that gives the biggest and classiest improvement.

So from having a cheap fix with the battery I am now going to have to spend a bit more on the interior!
Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts